Menu

YEC in Classical Conversations Challenge?

HerdingCats

I have a daughter in the Challenge A seminar. I had done a cycle in the Foundations program a few years ago and she really enjoyed it. When our co-op for the fall fell through, she asked if we could look into doing CC again. It was kind of last minute, but through some serendipitous circumstances we found a spot available in a program nearby being taught by her old tutor.

So far, so good after the first seminar last week, but I am looking ahead into the semester and following years and have a couple concerns.

First of all, the science used in the upcoming years is Apologia. I am aware this is a young earth text and I don't subscribe to those beliefs. I am a Christian, but after much reading and research on this, we are leaning more and more towards Theistic Evolution or Evolutionary Creationism. This semester the seminar is using a book that focuses on debunking evolution. I am not opposed to learning about other opinions and beliefs, but I am going to be teaching evolution at home.

I don't know if this is going to be problematic for us. I have contacted the CC headquarters and they gave me a frank and sort of "canned" response that their policy is always to defer students' parents in these issues. I guess I would like to know from others who have been through this program with their children whether CC is teaching this as a worldview or from the angle of exploring different perspectives. Is my dd going to be utterly confused?:confused:

I've tutored or used all of the Apologia books at one time or another and am tutoring Challenge I right now.

You can easily skip the actual evolution/creationism debate chapters (and I usually do in the Bio book). You can insert whatever you believe for the other parts. He does make it very clear though (and this is also very much a prt of the book Defeating Darwinism in Challenge B) that theistic evolution is not a scientific theory and is not in any way compatible with the Theory of Evolution that is commonly held to be true by the scientific community..

As for young/old earth - it's not a big topic at all.

Nothing is "taught" in a Challenge, only intro'd, but they will use the book as written. You are welcome to make of it what you will, though since the parent is the teacher.

Or just don't take the science seminars. ;)

hth,

Georgia

• 8 months later...
Guest txmusicmom
I am a Christian, but after much reading and research on this, we are leaning more and more towards Theistic Evolution or Evolutionary Creationism. This semester the seminar is using a book that focuses on debunking evolution. I am not opposed to learning about other opinions and beliefs, but I am going to be teaching evolution at home.

Might I ask a question? There are two types of evolution. I really wish they were called different things because they are totally different.

Micro-evolution- is the change over time within species. I don't know anyone who disputes this.

Macro-evolution is the one common ancestor theory.

Scientifically my major issue with macro-evolution- How do you add DNA?

How do you start with simple organisms and "evolve" into more complex organisms. The law of entropy says- things go from order to disorder not the opposite direction. How does the organism know what it needs to evolve? The flagella is a classic example. It requires 3-4 independent items to be present simultaneously in order to work. This is called irreducible complexity.

Personally I love students looking at different theories and thinking through the entire process.

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread resurrected. Thanks for your input, but my intent wasn't to start debating the theories. Let's just say I have not arrived at my present position without research and thought. If you want to find out answers to your specific questions I would suggest a couple of compelling books. The Language of God, written by Francis Collins, scientist known for mapping the human genome (also a Christian), and Beyond the Firmament, by Gordon Glover.

Edited by HerdingCats

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest skeppinga

Theistic evolution is not a scientific theory, that's true, but it is compatible with the theory of evolution commonly held by scientists. It is the belief that religious teachings about creation and scientific theories of evolution can be compatible. It is so hard to find Christian homeschoolers who believe this let alone who talk about it and so I was excited to find this comment thread! Thank you HeardingCats! I was thinking about Classical Conversations for my kids next year, but turned off by the way they discredit evolution.

• 13 years later...