Menu

Need reading help suggestion

dsacco

So my dd is in 4th grade work now..... but her reading is really bad. I was asking her to read the "Hello Julie" book from American Girl and she couldn't make it easily through any of the pages - and I felt awful!!

She's doing FINE on her schoolwork which is great - she's learning to pre-read the questions and highlight as she reads to be able to find the answers again later. She did History the other day ahead of schedule and got all the review questions correct!

So I'm not sure WHY or WHERE she is having all these problems.

But she doesn't want "baby books" - so any suggestions to help build her confidence?

Have you been having her read aloud to you to build fluency? That is what really helped my middle DD. I told her it was for public speaking experience! ;) I also have mine memorizing poetry to recite, which I think helps in this area also.

I have her read aloud from the Seton Faith and Freedom readers. You may also want to look at the Catholic National Readers or the American Cardinal Readers. We have the ACR for a few grades, and they are nice for reading aloud AND they are not at all babyish, at least with book 3 and up.

I had to take my middle DD all the way back to the beginning of Little Angels phonics last year and go all the way back through it to really help with her reading and spelling issues. We began with Seton phonics, but it wasn't a good fit for her. I do like their reading comprehension books though.

Best wishes!

Thanks - we just had her spelling quiz and she did AWFUL!!!! I'm lost at it - I might pull out the 3rd grade Rod & Staff Spelling I have and have her back up and do that one. Or just might grab the Seton one to stay consistent with the subject.

Thanks for the suggestions on the readers - I have those!!! Why didn't I think of that ;)