Menu

My B/SIL got us Muzzy I last year for Christmas and we're just getting ready to start Spanish, so I'm now reviewing it. So far, I can't say I'm very excited about it. It seems to introduce many things too quickly; the dialogue is hard to hear/understand (I had 4 years of Spanish in high school many moons ago, but remember enough ... I'm having to listen hard and carefully to even hear words when I know what they're going to say); and the story line, well, we're pretty conservative, and the story line is a bit disconcerting for small children (kissing, hiding a bf/gf relationship from parents, etc.) I hate that they spent so much money on this!

I had (and am) planned on using El Espanol Facil for our main Spanish curriculum.

Is there any way to supplement with Muzzy? Can parts of the story be cut out and have it still make sense? Anyone with experience on using this?

I know they got it for their kids too, I'll probably ask her about how she uses it.

Have you read the parent/teacher instructions on how to use Muzzy? They are quite thorough and explain how to convert it into a formal study program.

That being said, we don't use it for formal study. We just put it on and allow the kids to marinate in a little Italian told through a wacky story.

Have you read the parent/teacher instructions on how to use Muzzy? They are quite thorough and explain how to convert it into a formal study program.

:confused1:

I have a parent's video (that wasn't super helpful), a story book, an 18x18 "Parents' Instructional Guide" (with a lot of big pictures and very few words), story CDs, Vocabulary DVDs, Interactive Games, and a songs CD. Oh, and a Muzzy doll.

Is there something else I should look for?

I appreciate your help!

The Parent's Instructional Guide is what I had in mind, if memory serves. Also check the website for the company. There are some interactive games for kids as well as some more advice for parents.

But it's not intended as a formal grammar-translation program or even a full-on conversational fluency package like Rosetta Stone.

It gives children exposure and, when used correctly, they can acquire some simple phrases and grammar the same way they are learning their primary language.

Be sure you're not trying to turn Muzzy into something it isn't meant for: it's a gentle introduction for the pre-literate that can supplement early literacy in the target language. It is not intended as a replacement for formal instruction at an age-appropriate level.

Thanks for your help! Like I said, I was planning on using this as a "fun" supplement, so that's fine with me.

Did you have any concerns with the story line? Especially for the pre-literate/pre-schooler age?

No. My kids think it is silly and we haven't found that any of it is problematic or leads to bad behavior. YMMV, of course.