Menu

Help me design a self-study program for Latin, so that I can be ready to teach dd.

gandpsmommy

I started Latin with my kidlets years ago having never even read a word in Latin. I just tried to stay a week or so ahead of them in the book we were using at the time (Latin Primer). I'm still just working week by week to stay ahead of them now in high school using Latin in the Christian Trivium.

If I had to do over again, I think I would use something like Lingua Latina ahead of time but if you can't do that, don't worry. You really can just learn as you go and it has always motivated me to do more chanting aloud of paradigms and vocabulary with them. That way I can learn the chants and vocabulary at the same time I'm teaching them.

Janet

so you should be able to learn vocabulary, grammar and light translation easily.

However LfC is recommended for 3rd graders and up, so for your child next fall I'd use the "pre-quel", Song School Latin, which is coming out this spring. The following year your dd should be ready for LfC and you will know the material well.

http://http://classicalacademicpress.com/FLASH/lfc_intro.html

Since you have a limited amount of preparation time, it makes sense to be as efficient as possible in how you approach your own studies. I've seen a lot of kids outstrip their parents in Latin in a matter of a few years if the parents are trying to learn the language alongside their dc.

What program do you intend to use with your dc? The existing elementary programs are (mostly) designed to lead into a particular upper level program. For example, Latina Christiana and Lively Latin both prepare students for Henle. Minimus leads into Cambridge. I think Latin Primer prepares for Wheelock, although I could be wrong about that. So the idea is for you to begin with the high school or college text that corresponds to the elementary program the dc are using. That will make sure that what you're learning is most relevant to your dc's studies.

HTH!

I started off learning and teaching Latin at the same time with Prima Latina. I wanted to give my boys a classical education which included Latin, but I was extremely intimidated. Prima Latina was a great start for me. I used the DVDs which helped me with Latin pronunciation; it also taught me how to chant Latin declensions and how to set up a Latin lesson. I found them invaluable and credit them with my desire to continue Latin.

After Prima Latina, I also learned and taught Latin at the same time with LCI. I was still able to so both, but I was quickly finding out that I needed to know more about where we were going with Latin so that I could answer my boys' questions. At that point I broke off and started learning Latin on my own.

I started my self study with Henle. For me, it was dry and boring; I didn't keep up with the lessons very well, and I even wanted to learn Latin. Someone recommended Wheelock's to me. I bought that program, and I haven't looked back. There are many on-line helps and supplement to the program. I've gone through the first 6 chapters, and I feel very confident as I teach my boys LCII this year. (http://www.wheelockslatin.com/chapters/introduction/introduction.html)

I recently found Lingua Latina, but I wouldn't suggest that at this time. I'm slowly starting to incorporate it into our Latin studies. It's a great program, but it teaches Latin through immersion. I saw the program briefly when I was getting started in Latin and found it too overwhelming.

I know this is getting long, but I'm almost done. My last point is about grammar. More specifically, English grammar. I found that I was having a difficult time in Latin because I didn't know English grammar. You can learn English grammar through Latin, but if you're trying to teach Latin at the same time, you really need to know it up front. Therefore, I would highly recommend English Grammar for Students of Latin as you begin your Latin journey. (http://www.amazon.com/English-Grammar-Students-Latin-Learning/dp/0934034192/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1205248054&sr=11-1) Of course, if you're well grounded in grammar, please disregard. I wasn't grounded and went so far as to work through the Jensen's Grammar workbook to bring me up to speed. I think I'll learn even more though as my oldest son begins R&S grammar 7 next year...

HTH!