Menu

Another math question

My oldest two are math gifted, have used TT and either got, or are getting, 700+ scores on SAT's (both real and practice pending son).

My youngest is math challenged... He's going into 8th grade and just starting Alg 1. Last year he said he 'didn't like' and 'didn't get' the teaching in Pre-Alg with TT - specifically the Alg part they do at the end - the rest was fine. He also had troubles when either hubby or I tried explaining it to him. I TEACH math (substitute for it in our public hs - all levels - up to, and including, Calc). He doesn't get it - eerily similar to our low level math students. I don't think he's just stubborn, but rather, that he doesn't want to work at it because he doesn't understand it.

He also has always been fiercely independent and HATES having mom or dad try to teach him. My other two don't mind - and even like it if we get involved. Not so with him.

So... this year we're starting TT Alg 1, BUT if he's still not getting it... for those of you who have compared... would you recommend CD or Saxon with Saxon Teacher or Dive? I know he needs a video component - he's not a superb textbook learner in courses he doesn't like.

I'm fully aware that I could slow him down another year and do Alg 1 in 9th grade, but all of his peers are doing it in 8th or have already completed it in 7th. His self-esteem is already fairly low when it comes to academics as he's in the shadow of his extremely gifted brothers. I'd rather not slow him down even more if it can be helped. If not, I will, but first I'd want other 'teacher' options to try to see if one clicks.

He's extremely gifted in all things Biology (botany, bugs, critters, etc). I wish he could see that we all have our niches and math just might not be his... Any thoughts regarding this are welcome as well.

Honestly, I'd think that TT is the most straight-forward with the most reasonable expectations for a student who struggles with math.

Have you looked at LoF? Have you tried manipulatives? Worked through any skills that might need remediation?

One thing I'm doing differently with my Algebra 1 students this year is daily "drill" of skills remediation first thing in the morning, lessons and practice in the class period, and then homework for practice. So, if anything, I'd just recommend you break his work into three short lessons each day instead of one "beat your head into the wall until you get it" session. :)

Lori

Honestly, I'd think that TT is the most straight-forward with the most reasonable expectations for a student who struggles with math.

Have you looked at LoF? Have you tried manipulatives? Worked through any skills that might need remediation?

One thing I'm doing differently with my Algebra 1 students this year is daily "drill" of skills remediation first thing in the morning, lessons and practice in the class period, and then homework for practice. So, if anything, I'd just recommend you break his work into three short lessons each day instead of one "beat your head into the wall until you get it" session. :)

Lori

That's what I was afraid of (with regards to TT)...

No, I haven't looked at LoF. I'll see if I can pick up a copy to take a look - just in case he might like the story line.

I haven't seen (in ps) where manipulatives have worked for Alg. I see kids doing well manipulating the x's and squareds, etc, but I've yet to see it carry over to doing problems for those that are math challenged (of course gifted and normal kids get it). Maybe I'll try it though... who knows?

And yes, we had to go back and work on remedial skills. I took him out of ps after 4th grade. He was in the highest math class at the time, so I wasn't concerned. My other two went through ps till 6th and 8th... However, in the meantime they switched math programs and were now doing a ton of basic math on calculators. My son could push buttons, but had no idea how to multiply (even single digits) or fractions or any of that. We spent all of 5th grade and most of 6th doing remedial 'catch up.' He didn't like it, but he was good at it once he realized he actually did need to work and apply himself. It still didn't come easily.

In 7th we did TT Pre-Alg - he did fine (since most of that is still basics). However, at the end when they got to Alg, he completely got lost and flustered. Math has never come easily for him, but this is the only time he has tried and not really gotten it to work. We worked together on the end of Pre-Alg just to get through it (no grades, no pressure). Then I figured the summer off would be good. Now we're getting ready to start again (Wednesday) and, on a whim, I thought I'd see if there was another 'good for math challenged students' similar type of program - just in case. I've never looked at CD (though have the Calc for my oldest this year). I've never cared for Saxon personally, but thought if the teacher appealed more to my son that it would be worth it to try - picking easier homework problems if needed.

We'll see how it goes... and might just have to hold off another year if he can't grasp it. It could easily be brain development - and if so - I'll just get him more flustered pushing him. I know that, but it's a tough decision based on his self-esteem and peers...

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised...

Thanks for your thoughts. I do like the idea of breaking it up throughout the day...

My ds also struggles with TT Pre-Algebra (he is stalled on fractions). I have decided after much frustration, anger, and crying on both our parts to stop and remediate for 9 weeks. I'll either use Lial's Essential Mathematics or Walch Pub. Power Basics Basic Mathematics based upon the results of Sylvan's free math assessment.

I don't have much in the way to offer in advice but wanted to let you know you are not alone!!! :grouphug:

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

I don't have much in the way to offer in advice but wanted to let you know you are not alone!!! :grouphug:

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Thanks! We'll both be hoping there was more math brain development over the summer... ;) Like you, I might opt to go back and practice the basics while letting the brain have more time... We'll see. My son is 13 too...

We had to repeat basic algebraic principles 3 times before they were grasped. Repetition with varying presentation seemed to be the key. Lial was our main text but I inserted the Key to Algebra books when he hit his first wall. I know you said he is a video learner but those workbooks are unlike any textbook I've seen. They are very visual and appear to work well with right-brainers. We also used the Kinetic Books Algebra 1 which was a free download at the time. I don't know if it is still available, though. Just a thought...

Edited by periwinkle
clarification

If TT doesn't work for your child, I would recommend Math Relief. Not exciting, but the gentleman is a good teacher.

With two students that have struggled with math, we have chosen to postpone Algebra I until 10th grade. I know that seems "late", but brain development does help a lot. Plus, they aren't so brain foggy from all those teenage hormones in 10th as they are earlier. It's still there, but to a lesser degree. I would rather see a student postpone a class and be more successful than struggle and struggle. They tend to begin to think they are "stupid".

HTH

Cindy

If TT doesn't work for your child, I would recommend Math Relief. Not exciting, but the gentleman is a good teacher.

Cindy

Ditto for this - thanks for the recommendation as I hadn't looked at this program either. I agree with not wanting any student to ever feel 'stupid.' However, he is not only feeling that way because math is difficult, but also because his friends/peers are having no problems with it and are moving along. It's a tough call. He just can't see that he is far 'better' than them in his own niche - well, maybe he can see it, but it doesn't matter enough to help his feelings.