Menu

How necessary are the TM in Elementary Abeka?

Jeri in TN

I am about to purchase Abeka spelling, language arts, Science, and History for Grades 2, 4, & 5.

For those who have used Abeka in the past, how necessary are the TM and Test keys for these particular grades and subjects? I've never used Abeka before and don't want to buy the TM and test keys unless necessary. On the Abeka curriculum website some of the TM/test keys state they are optional, some don't.

Well I personally dont do tests. I already know what my kids know and dont know... no point in taking a test for that. So the test keys I'll say no, you dont need them.

The TM well that depends on how comfortable you are with teaching concepts in the lower grades.

I taught Abeka (every subject in K-3) to my oldest. I think the TM's were handy for me at first.. but I no longer use them in anything but Math for grades K-3.

I dont use anything but their Phonics program now.

My K last year (Gr. 1) this year loves to take the Abeka tests - I am not using Abeka Math for first grade, I sometime suse the workbook, but my dd LOVEs the tests in the testbook. For math you probably don't need the teacher manuals in the early grades.

My dd took the tests last year for Abeka Phonics/LA first grade - and she loves taking tests, and yes, for LA I needed the teacher key, because the tests are blank, you don't know what to dictate. I would buy them if the kids like taking tests. I bought them used, though.

Thanks. My kids don't really like test taking but I feel like they need to be prepared for high school and later when they will be taking tests.

Do you know if the earlier edition TM or test keys are compatible with recent books? This is my first year to try Abeka. A couple of homeschooling moms I know have used it and love it. I've used Rod and Staff in the past and it seems like nothing changes in that curriculum but Abeka seems to update its curriculum frequently. I noticed that their workbooks are colorful and I'm wondering if the updates are to the illustrations or the actual text and student work.