Menu

Rebecca Sitton spelling? Anyone know anything about this?

Sue G in PA

My ds8's elementary school uses Sitton spelling. I've read some really BAD reviews online from teachers AND parents. Does anyone here have any experiences with it...good or bad? Thanks.

Seriously. Sitton spelling from 3rd to mid-5th grade was disastrous for my ds, and yes, I think many of his reading and spelling issues would not be "issues" if he had had a phoncis-based spelling program.

If your ds's school is using Sitton, you will definitely want to keep up spelling at home. I'm certain that every bad thing you've ever read about it is true. I can't post more without arousing extreme anger! The National Right to Read Foundation (?) has a very factual and intelligent report on the dangers of Sitton spelling. That would be a much better source of info (less emotional, anyway - LOL!).

That was what I was afraid of. Between Sitton spelling and Everyday Math...I'm so afraid that I am sending my elem. aged children to the wolves! Dh is adament about giving ps a try for them since we've built it up all summer. So why does my "gut" tell me to wait until middle school? Anyway, thanks for that confirmation about Sitton. Dh just rolled his eyes when i told him as if to say, "you are looking for a fight everywhere aren't you?". Why can't he just believe that I care about my kids? Ugh. I wish I could pull them now. They will certainly balk at doing any more schooling at home...even if it is only spelling using AAS and tiles instead of writing. Ugh. Just ugh.