Menu

I'm finally doing memory work on a consistent basis!

creekmom

I'm so excited to have a memory system that works!! I use the memory box system that is on the Charlotte Mason website. I've given my kids their own timers that they keep in their schoolboxes (Lakeshore Learning has some great ones for drill work). Every day, they set their timers for 5 minutes to review/learn their memory cards (they each have 1 poem, 1 scripture verse, some history items and personal items to memorize so far this year). As they get older, I will probably increase time to 10 minutes each day, but so far, they've learned a lot just doing it for 5! On Friday, we do an oral quiz - and I get out my M&M jar. They get to pick 2 M&Ms for every card they have memorized. They LOVE this part, and it makes Fridays a little more special!

progress.gif

We were doing this a couple of years ago, but stopped for some reason. Will have to implement again. Thanks for the reminder!:D

Oh, and just to make sure...you are talking about the Simply Charlotte Mason website regarding their Memory System...correct?

Thank you so much for the great idea, I was trying to figure out how to do memory work and this seems very "doable." I was wondering, how many things are they memorizing at once?

The way the system is set up, they are constantly reviewing past cards - so, I have maybe 4-5 cards behind "daily" 2-3 cards behind each day of the week, and we are starting to file some of the oldest cards behind the days of the month. I bought a 4x6 box and cards to use so that the longer items could fit on the cards (poems, etc.). My 5th and 3rd graders have the following for daily each week: a poem, a memory verse, the books of the Bible (we're doing a few at a time), a little history/geography and next week, science. The possibilites are endless - especially since I've slacked off in this area since the beginning of hsing!:glare: It really is "doable" !!