Menu

How to Combine Rod & Staff with Singapore?

JessMcG

I've got both programs. I really want to do Singapore with dd6. But this is my eldest and so my first time teaching math. So I want something a little more scripted, even more than Singapore's HIG's.

How do you go about combining the programs? I'm sure everyone does it a little different. I would love to hear how.

I'm going to do the same thing with ds6, eventually. Right now I'm using R&S Math 1 to get the ball rolling. When he's finished with workbook 1 I plan to start Singapore 1A. Not sure exactly how yet, though.

I've heard (or read) that when most people combine they might do one program one week and the other program the next. Like I said, I'm not exactly sure how I'll do it yet, but just wanted to let you know we're in the same boat. :)

I originally started with Saxon, with Singapore as a supplement. Last school year, we went to R&S, starting with the 1st grade book. At first, I continued to try to supplement with all of Singapore, but found 1) it was too much and 2) it was unnecessary, as R&S is so thorough. What I finally came up with that seems to work is to do R&S (along with some parts of Saxon) during the school year and Singapore IP & CWP during the summer, as enrichment.

Does anyone teach from Singapore and then use Rod & Staff as a supplement?

Our main math program is Singapore but I have used R&S materials to supplement. I have the Blackline masters for R&S 1 and 2. I have copied some of these worksheets off as extra practice and drill. My ds likes dot-to-dots so I've printed off some of those and I like the Blossom and Bees worksheets for learning/practicing math facts. I also have R&S 5 which I have used for extra practice with dd. I like to cherry pick assignments if I think more drill is needed. On the whole though, I use very little of R&S. I bought it because it was cheap and I am a bit of a curriculum addict :blushing:.