Menu

What would you use with an extremely independent and motivated 2nd grader?

rafiki

Did you try Sinagpore Primary Math's Intensive Practice books? The review is different, because most of it (the first few pages of each book is simple repeition) requires problem solving and thinking outside of the box (even more than is taught in the text/wkbk). My oldest doesn't like repetition/review at ALL, but he likes working in the IP books. They're not at all visually distracting (that would be the pics and colors in the textbooks, right?).

Would your ds be the type of learner who could fall in love with a topic and self-educate? Or does he prefer to be handed workbooks? I have one of each. The first type is easier because they are independent learners -- give them access to a library and some really good internet sites (national geographic and university sites etc.) and they're good to go. They've got the drive to teach themselves. The second type is more work for the parent, who has to choose, organize, and make available all the learning material.

Sounds like your ds wants to be made more busy? Wow! I don't have ANY kids like that. Mine all prefer to do LESS of the work *I* assign. I don't think I have any wisdom to share. Maybe... add a language? Would he like to learn a new language?

Did you use the Singapore textbook or workbook and at what grade level??? I find that the workbooks are much less visually distracting as you go along, as are the texts, but most especially the workbooks. Heuristically it is still one of the strongest programs out there, especially for the mathy.

MEP is another option, too, and it's free. All you pay for is the paper and ink to print it. You can find it at http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

CWP is good, along with SM, but it's going out of print. We haven't done the IP since we do 2 math programs and I do MEP sometimes.