Menu

Worldy Wise users.....Mind if I ask you a couple of questions?

astrid

Can we just jump in at the 6th or 7th grade level, without having gone through the entire program previously? Or will it be difficult to follow?

Approximately how many pages of work is each lesson?

Is it secular?

Thanks so much! I'm still having a heck of a time finding a vocabulary curriculum!

Can we just jump in at the 6th or 7th grade level' date=' without having gone through the entire program previously? Or will it be difficult to follow?

Approximately how many pages of work is each lesson?

Is it secular?

Thanks so much! I'm still having a heck of a time finding a vocabulary curriculum![/quote']

previous books. Though each lesson is structured the same (definitions, finding meanings, just the right word, applying meanings, word relationships, narrative), the vocabulary covered is independent of the previous books.

Each lesson runs about 8-9 pages long. My ds usually does a lesson in 2 days. I do like to let a day or two go by before he works on the second half of the lesson.

The original version is still available from RR. It includes more esoteric words than Wordly Wise 3000. It also isn't as clean graphically, so if you have a student bothered by jambed pages and smaller type, I recommend 3000.

It is a secular program.

We have used Wordly Wise for the past 3 years and I think it is a great program. I think I would start with ww 3000 book 1, it really wouldn't matter but that just seems the logical place to start. I have a friend that uses it as her spelling program by just making that weeks words the spelling list. I just have ds cover one word list per week which works out to one lesson per day.

Blessings

Paula

We started with WW3000 in our 7th grade year. I did start with the 6th grade book because dd didn't have any previous vocab. This year she is doing the 7th book in 8th. Next year I think we will just jump to the 9th as I feel she is ready. We are now using WW3000 2nd edition.

I have noticed a jump in her vocab on the CAT test since we began, so I believe it's working well.

There are 5 parts to each lesson (A-E). Dd ususally does A&B on Mon., C on Tue. and D on Wed. and Test on Thu. (we school 4 days because of co-op). We skip the "E" because it is comprehension questions. Dd has Asperger's and the comprehension was so frustrating that it was a hindrance and not a help. I will probably not do the test booklet next year. We tried it this year and I could take it or leave it, so we'll probably leave it:) It rarely takes dd more than 10 or 15 minutes to do a part of the lesson, but it is really effective.

HTH

Angel

My older son used WW in private school from 4th grade to 7th grade. Now my home schooled son is using it. IMO you should not start a child in book 1 if they're in 6th grade. If they have average vocabulary skills, you should start at grade level. It takes us about 2 weeks for each lesson. He does A,B,C, and D on the first day, makes flashcards on the second day, and does E on the third day. Then he spends 4 or 5 days studying the flashcards so he would be ready for the tests that I give him. I require him to recall and write all definitions with the respective parts of speech and use each word properly in a sentence indicating its part of speech in the sentence. You can make it as simple or intense as you'd like. His vocabulary was very weak when we started and now he is up to average. We may spend more time on vocabulary than other folks but my ds was weak in several areas when I pulled him lout of school after 3rd grade. You can certainly work in a higher than grade level book to keep your child's vocabulary above grade level. (My older son worked at one grade above his grade level in these books.)

I would definitely start your child at grade level--the words are by no means advanced and the exercises are worthwhile and age-appropriate.

We follow a regular "routine" for our WW lessons. Each lesson consists of a list of words (with definitions in the newer editions) and several Exercises. Our weekly pattern is as follows:

Day 1: Read through words, write them out, do Ex. A of the lesson

Day 2: Do Ex. B and C of the lesson

Day 3: Do Ex. D and E of the lesson

Day 4: Quiz (I give the word orally, child writes it down, we check spelling, he/she then gives me a sentence (orally) using the word.

Day 5: catch-up Day.

With the new 3000 series, you can purchase a test booklet which consists of a written test for each chapter and several review tests. I use that with my high schoolers as it is good practice with a standardized test format. (My middle schoolers enjoy "quiz" day because they make their sentences tell a story which continues from week to week.....)

We make vocabulary study a light and enjoyable part of our L. Arts program and WW3000 fits the bill perfectly.

HTH,