Menu

Back from an NCFCA Qualifier.

Wow. We just returned from a 3-day NCFCA speech and debate qualifying tournament. My dh and I helped judge Lincoln-Douglas debate and I watched the Apologetics, LD and TP finals. Once again, as I am at many of these kinds of events, I was so impressed with the character of our students. They are not only outstanding thinkers, but also considerate, gracious and humble. They are eager to help each other out and seem genuinely joyful when their friends from many different states place or win.

It's so neat to see a group of 13 to 18-year-olds that can laugh and horse around with their peers and just as easily help out with the 2-yr-old little brother or step into conversation with the adults around. And they're not nerdy. :)

Now, gotta go get caught up with the board. :)

Blessings,

Lisa

I thought of you this week when I heard about the tournament. glad you had a good time. I don't know how you do it with 2 littles as well! I wish I knew more about how to get my (very stubborn/strong-willed/hate-all-things-debatish) kids involved, but there's too much else going on right now, and they did do the required year or two.

We'll see how K. does at Teen Pact this year. She's already not thrilled with the amount of homework.....

We only *did* it because dh came along. He took two days judging and I took one day. They are looong days -- the kids are speaking or debating or timing or getting ready for the next event from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. And I couldn't stand to be away from the baby that long for three days in a row!

As for incentive, it helps that 1) I scheduled it as one of their classes; :) and 2) there is a big enough group here that my dc have made friends in this group and other out-of-town groups. The social aspect makes the research aspect much more fun!

Hey, are you up for a phone call? I need to ask you a few things.

Hope all is well --

Lisa