Menu

can you pronounce this Latin phrase for me?

Denainms

I have no latin background, going to start Latin Prep soon, and I wanted a latin phrase for our schooling..I don't know how to pronouce this:

Non scholae sed vitae discimus

"We learn not for school, but for life."

Denainms

...was (I have no idea how this pronunciation is called):

Non- non

scholae- sch(as in school) o (as in off) lae (lae as in lad), emphasis on first syllable

sed- sed (as in fed)

vitae- v (as in victory) i (as in eat) tae (as in "tad"), emphasis on first syllable

discimus- dis (as in discontent) ci (ki as in kid) mus (the "u" as the u in butcher), emphasis on 2nd syllable "ci"

HTH!

How you say it depends on whether you want ecclesiastical or classical pronunciation. Do you know which your Latin curriculum uses?

That said, trying to convey pronunciation on a message board is more difficult than you'd expect, particularly for people whose accents in English may be radically different. My "a as in father" might not be anything like yours! :) Your best bet is to listen to some examples of Latin pronunciation from knowledgeable teachers. (This link uses the restored classical pronunciation.) Here's a link to a page on ecclesiastical pronunciation, if you prefer that.

HTH!