Menu

Latin Prep Question

dancer67

I would like to have my 11 yo learn some Latin this year. I already have English from the Roots Up.

I do not want an intense program, but one that will make her understand Latin and be able to translate Latin-English vice versa.

Also, very inexpensive. Color would be good. With a student workbook.

I have heard of Latin Prep 1 by Galore Park, and wondering if this is a good place to start? Just doing one book.

And if I do Latin Prep, should I drop EFTRU?

There is also another book someone mentionedGetting Started With Latin from Amazon.com,and was wondering which was the better program?

Thank you

<<I would like to have my 11 yo learn some Latin this year. I already have English from the Roots Up.>> If you just wwant to "learn some Latin" I would stick with EFRU or a book that teaches the Latin roots and then the words that they make. I saw a great book over on the Royal Fireworks Press site--maybe Caesar's English? --but I don't have it and I've only seen samples.

<<I do not want an intense program, but one that will make her understand Latin and be able to translate Latin-English vice versa.>> Latin Prep is geared toward learning the whole Latin grammar. In fact, if you just want to learn words, you could do better. We didn't use LP1, but are using LP2 and it's quite challenging.

Also, very inexpensive. Color would be good. With a student workbook. <<Well Latin Prep is actually quite expensive. Check out their prices.>>

Jeri

Some thoughts...

I do not want an intense program, but one that will make her understand Latin and be able to translate Latin-English vice versa.

I believe these are mutually exclusive goals. Learning Latin -- the ability to understand and to translate in both directions -- is intensive work. If those are your goals for your child, you have to be prepared to do some work.

Also, very inexpensive. Color would be good. With a student workbook. I have heard of Latin Prep 1 by Galore Park, and wondering if this is a good place to start?

If you want to save money, I would go with the Latin Prep textbook ($20) and the answer key ($15). There are workbooks, and I consider them to be very useful additions to the program, but they're not absolutely necessary. There are plenty of exercises in Latin Prep, and your daughter can simply do them in a separate notebook. $35 will certainly give you a very solid program.

And if I do Latin Prep, should I drop EFTRU?

I would.

If you just wwant to "learn some Latin" I would stick with EFRU or a book that teaches the Latin roots and then the words that they make. I saw a great book over on the Royal Fireworks Press site--maybe Caesar's English? --but I don't have it and I've only seen samples.

This only works if your goal is simply to learn a bit about Latin roots of English vocabulary. It won't make progress toward your goal of understanding or translating Latin.

We didn't use LP1, but are using LP2 and it's quite challenging.

Regardless of previous exposure, if one is going to use Latin Prep, I strongly encourage beginning at the beginning. It really is written as a single book, broken into separate volumes. There is no review at the beginning of each year -- it's really as if you're jumping in at the middle of a book, if you begin with LP2 or 3. I can imagine that would make it significantly more challenging. That said, the first few chapters in LP2 *are* pretty challenging compared to LP1 (though my students found the second half of the book smoother sailing).

EEEK. Latin Prep is expensive.

I liked though how it asked the child to translate the sentences in English from Latin.

It's expensive depending on what you choose to purchase. However, it's a really excellent program, and you can get what you need for it for $35 (and free shipping).

I would recommend spending 20-30 minutes per day, a minimum of 4 school days per week. Some might consider that "intense" study time. But it's also thorough, clear, concise, witty, colorful, and effective.