Menu

Hewitt's World Literature?

Has anyone used Hewitt's World Literature courses (Africa, Asia, Latin America)? If so, what did you think about them?

OR... if anyone is more skilled in English than I am (math/science are my specialities), can you comment on whether or not you'd feel these would be worthy for my English-talented 10th grader who has already done Notgrass' American and World years?

I'm looking for something 'different' that will hold him over until he can do AP or cc for his Jr. and Sr. years (without having to repeat many books).

We would be doing vocab separately with Wordly-Wise.

Here are the links to what I'm talking about:

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/bsingle.asp?i=3305[/url]

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/bsingle.asp?i=3312

Edited by creekland
edited to provide better links

My older dd used LL World Lit, and while she enjoyed the books, she felt the actual study itself was rather lacking as far as literary analysis goes; although it was a great cultural study. It was quite the let-down after having completed their Shakespeare study the year before. Dd felt it was a wasted year, but I suppose it depends what you are looking for. As a study of different cultures through literature; this is great.

If you want something different that is more meaty, and are looking at Hewitt's LL, I would highly recommend both of their Shakespeare studies. They are very good, very informative and held both of my dd's interest. We felt the writing prompts were excellent.

Thanks everyone. I'm quite ok with it being more of a cultural English year - and actually feel that could be a good change for a year. My son doesn't love Shakespeare enough to want to do a full year (or even a full semester) with just that. He's excited to think about reading books from different cultures.

I also looked up Things Fall Apart - sounds quite interesting - I've decided it would be good for my oldest to also read these books even though he's doing his official English with the cc. I'll just have him skip the writings involved. He wants to spend his life overseas doing microfinance or other such Christian business endeavor. One of his potential professors talked about not making the mistakes of the British in the 50's... I'm wondering if he'll see this book again in college. If so, a preview will be good.

When I think back to MY education (ps, but a really good one), we never read anything I can think of outside of European or American authors (not counting what we read in history of ancient documents or fragments)... I might take some time with these books myself. This may be a section 'lost' in general education. I agree it might be nice to have better literary analysis too, but... maybe that will come in time for my third son.