Menu

My Access Writing curriculum...any reviews?

Sue G in PA

Anyone ever use this? HS Buyers Coop has it as a group buy and the price is decent considering I can use it for 3 students. I've been looking for something to supplement what the dc will be doing in ps for writing b/c while I think the quantity will be dreadful...the quality of instruction is likely to be fair at best. It looks like a pretty cool curriculum and something that could even benefit them as the have reports or essays to write for ps. Any reviews?

It would be fine "IF" you read over the the paper and regrade MA's grade. KWIM?

My dd's high school uses MA. MA would take point off for misspelled words, but the words weren't misspelled. They were people's names or names of places. My dd would be required to achieve a certain amount of point in each area and there wasn't a way to make the program accept words that it doesn't recognize. A name, spelled differently, used over and over, can add up in massive point loss. We talked to her teacher and he said that there wasn't anything he could to to change the program. Most times, the teacher would never read the paper and would just give my dd the grade MA assigned.

There were other things like this that irritated me. I think it is a good tool if used as a tool and not as a "teacher".

Good to know. I would be using it as a tool, not as a teacher. It just sounded interesting that it took them through the entire process of writing from draft to final copy. For us, it wouldn't be for a grade b/c the dc would be turning the paper in to a real teacher or to me for "grading", KWIM? Thanks for your input...I wonder if the "kinks" have perhaps been worked out by now?

This was last school year. I don't think the kinks are out. I hopped over to the SL board to get their input (SL used MA several year ago) Merry (who is on the both boards said that there were many "kinks" like the ones I described and that is why SL doesn't use it anymore? I think?

I do think it is a good program, my dd's teacher was only reading the rough drafts and not the final copies. She would get good grade on her rough drafts which the teacher read and average to lower grades with MA, mostly because of "kinks". The teacher was using MA to grade the students papers! Didn't appreciate that.