Menu

Tina, questions about Phonics Road

Joy at Home

Not Tina, but I used Phonics Road for about a month last spring. I really liked it - easy to implement, based on the pure phonics methodology that I believe in, love the idea of teaching spelling and writing WITH reading.

BUT my DS was just not ready for the writing portion - both handwriting and the "coding" of the spelling words (it brought him to tears to write ONE word!! He had just turned 5 though) - and DD struggled with it some too. So instead of just attempting to adapt the curriculum without the writing, I panicked and quit the whole program. I guess at the time, the writing portion seemed like such a huge part of it (and it is, since it is based on Spalding, which is learning to write AND read at the same time) that I felt like it would be very hard to leave it out and do the program justice.

Then I went through a phase of looking for something "fast" (I felt behind with DD) and tried the Reading Lesson (I noticed it's in your siggy). I liked the font size, the pictures and the whole format of the book, but all the markings for the different sounds just seemed to overcomplicate things. And it had quite a few sight words. So I dumped it too LOL

The Phonics Road is still sitting in a box in my schoolroom, and I've listed it for sale here a few times. I figured if it sold, great, but if it doesn't, *maybe* I'll get it back out and look at it after we finish Blend Phonics (using adapted lessons by Elizabeth here on the board). Who knows what frame of "phonics mind" I'll be in then? :)

Of course I just ordered Phonics Pathways today, (and I won't even tell you how many other phonics programs are sitting on my bookshelf or that I've sold/tried) and am eyeballing McRuffy and MCP workbooks so I am clearly a PHONICS curriculum junkie.

All in all, I think The Phonics Road is the answer for an "easy to implement" SWR or WRTR style. Yes, it is more costly, but you are paying for convenience, IMHO.

Hope that helps some :)

Oh Rhonda, you sound just like me!! Yes, I have The Reading Lesson in my siggy, but where do you think it is? On the shelf, along with three or four other phonics books. I also have Happy Phonics, which is on the shelf right now. My just turned five year old has been using it off and on, and because of her age I'm just being very relaxed. I also have the I Am Sam series, which I haven't used.

I love the look of The Phonics Road because it's an all in one, but like you I worry about tying together the skills of phonics and writing, which I don't think dd is ready for. Also, I wonder if it might be overkill. One benefit for me would be if I was heading toward doing Latin, I could stay with the program. To be honest, I have yet to do formal Latin with any dc and I'm not sure I'll start.

Right now we're doing MFW K, and I would like to do MFW 1st grade next year, and use FLL and WWE. So I kinda feel like I either have to choose one path or another. A more relaxed, CM approach, or the more structured approach of Phonics Road.

Oh, decisions, decisions.

BTW, if you were to sell your Phonics Road, what would you ask :D?\

Blessings,

Lisa

Not Tina, but I used Phonics Road for about a month last spring. I really liked it - easy to implement, based on the pure phonics methodology that I believe in, love the idea of teaching spelling and writing WITH reading.

BUT my DS was just not ready for the writing portion - both handwriting and the "coding" of the spelling words (it brought him to tears to write ONE word!! He had just turned 5 though) - and DD struggled with it some too. So instead of just attempting to adapt the curriculum without the writing, I panicked and quit the whole program. I guess at the time, the writing portion seemed like such a huge part of it (and it is, since it is based on Spalding, which is learning to write AND read at the same time) that I felt like it would be very hard to leave it out and do the program justice.

Then I went through a phase of looking for something "fast" (I felt behind with DD) and tried the Reading Lesson (I noticed it's in your siggy). I liked the font size, the pictures and the whole format of the book, but all the markings for the different sounds just seemed to overcomplicate things. And it had quite a few sight words. So I dumped it too LOL

The Phonics Road is still sitting in a box in my schoolroom, and I've listed it for sale here a few times. I figured if it sold, great, but if it doesn't, *maybe* I'll get it back out and look at it after we finish Blend Phonics (using adapted lessons by Elizabeth here on the board). Who knows what frame of "phonics mind" I'll be in then? :)

Of course I just ordered Phonics Pathways today, (and I won't even tell you how many other phonics programs are sitting on my bookshelf or that I've sold/tried) and am eyeballing McRuffy and MCP workbooks so I am clearly a PHONICS curriculum junkie.

All in all, I think The Phonics Road is the answer for an "easy to implement" SWR or WRTR style. Yes, it is more costly, but you are paying for convenience, IMHO.

Hope that helps some :)

It's so hard to wait until 1st grade to start teaching reading, I know! I believe the reason she recs waiting is so dc is ready for the writing portion. I went from 100 EZLessons to Phonics Road and am SO very happy.

I encourage you to give it one more try...it'll be worth it. Also, for my explanation of the program read this post.

It's so hard to wait until 1st grade to start teaching reading, I know! I believe the reason she recs waiting is so dc is ready for the writing portion. I went from 100 EZLessons to Phonics Road and am SO very happy.

I encourage you to give it one more try...it'll be worth it. Also, for my explanation of the program read this post.

Tina,

Waiting till first makes sense. I wasn't aware of that, I thought she recommended k'ger, but I'm sure it varies for each child. It seems like first grade might be more appropriate for my dd.

Soooo, would continuing phonic lessons casually using what I'm using now be confusing? I wonder if I should keep chipping away at our phonics book and wait till first grade for Phonics Road. Oh, but then I'll have to look longingly from afar for another year :confused:

Blessings,

Lisa

Tina,

Waiting till first makes sense. I wasn't aware of that, I thought she recommended k'ger, but I'm sure it varies for each child. It seems like first grade might be more appropriate for my dd.

Soooo, would continuing phonic lessons casually using what I'm using now be confusing? I wonder if I should keep chipping away at our phonics book and wait till first grade for Phonics Road. Oh, but then I'll have to look longingly from afar for another year :confused:

Blessings,

Lisa

you could also go through PR at 1/2 pace. There seems to be many people who do this....and from what I've heard, girls often write earlier than boys (who catch up over the next 2 years). This allows for a great time of word books that you can simply read for the love of learning. A sound a week, type of thing. The initial launch from sounds to writing is not too fast. I wish I were home I could look for exact time frames for you.

In any case, I'd start PR and go as slow as necessary. At the same time, I'd be sure to do a lot of coordination exercises: puddy/play doh, cutting, drawing, finger painting, building blocks, sign language sounds (use their phonetic sounds, not their names)...

Another thought...what a great time to start with your 8 y.o.! Mrs. Beers does rec. not skipping levels, so you could simply pick up and zoom through. I did that with 2nd dd. We whizzed through PR1 (really too easy for her, but it taught her the markings and improved and added upon her phonics). I plan on completing PR2 in 2-3 months, then starting PR3 with her. I can't wait! She's 10 in Nov, FWIW.

Tina,

For some reason I did not realize Ms. Beers recommended waiting until 1st grade to start it? So there's no wonder DS (who was PreK) and DD (who was Kinder) had some trouble.

I was in the same boat as Lisa though - I needed something NOW. DS had known his basic letter sounds since two, and with the help of the phonogram cards from WRTR and AAS (see, complete LA junkie :blushing: )he knew all the multiple sounds for letters (3 sounds of A, 2 sounds of E, etc) and many of the other phonograms as well (CH, SH, OR, ER, UR, IR, AR, to name a few). It felt funny to slow down TPR by dragging out his "sound" learning, just to wait for his writing to catch up. He would have been bored to tears doing a sound a week when he could learn and recall easily 2 or 3 new phonograms a DAY. He was ready to READ (and is now beginning to read multisyllable words thanks to Blend Phonics/Elizabeth).

But of course I still like how TPR ties in spelling and writing and everything else you listed in your review. It seems like it is such a complete, cohesive program. Also, it's got all the bones, so not necessary to supplement, but easy to add stuff to if you want to (worksheets or other games, if that is what your DC likes). BUT, while DS's writing (and his patience for it) has gotten MUCH better than where he was 6 months ago when we tried The Phonics Road, he is still a boy just starting kinder ;) So still not sure he is ready. DD is though - it will take some prodding b/c she is a tad "lazy", but she can do the writing easily.

As far as selling, I have it listed on here for several months with no bites! LOL So I reduced the price significantly b/c I was convinced I needed to let go and move on (the piles of phonics books/programs on my bookshelf staring me in the face didn't help at ALL). BUT I think I am going to hold on to it for a bit longer - at least for another week or two to re-review it. If I decide to sell, I'll PM you Lisa :) I had it listed for less than half price, and would still honor that price of course, should I decide to still sell.

I have read from others that Sensational Strategies for Teaching Beginning Readers is the best precursor to Phonics Road. That is what we ordered for this year K and then we will move on to Phonics Road next year. We haven't received the program yet, so I don't have it in hand and can't comment as to whether it will live up to promises, but for those of you waiting (like me) for Phonics Road, you may want to take a look. HTH!

ETA: I have been looking for a used kit for at least 6 months now too. I have seen several listed, but they were all listed at or within a few dollars of full price new so there hasn't been much incentive to buy used especially when I can save shipping if I buy at the HS convention. Just a thought if anyone was looking to sell or price theirs!

Edited by FairProspects

ETA: I have been looking for a used kit for at least 6 months now too. I have seen several listed, but they were all listed at or within a few dollars of full price new so there hasn't been much incentive to buy used especially when I can save shipping if I buy at the HS convention. Just a thought if anyone was looking to sell or price theirs!

I posted my level one (less the pencils and clipboard) a few days ago for $95 ppd media mail. Last I checked TPR webpage, that same kit retailed for $200. Unless the retail price has gone down and I just didn't know it, I'd say mine was much less than "at or within a few dollars of full price". :D

Of course after all this discussion I think I'm hanging on to it for a few more weeks to take a more thorough review of it.

Yours is much better priced than the ones I've seen! Most have been in the $180 range! I know you are keeping yours for the time being, but I think this thread is creating a market for yourself should you ever want to sell :)!

It's an expensive program - BUT worth it if it works for your family. So when I was pricing it for resale, I just considered that since it was "used", I'd like to make it affordable for someone who might not otherwise be able to try it or even look at it. $200 is a lot to gamble with on "one" area of curriculum.

I always price my used curriculum at LEAST 30% less, and usually closer to 50% off. Heck, I've even given some away (good stuff, not just old or outdated stuff) when I thought a HS mama really needed it and was low on funds. (not that everyone should feel they need to give away curriculum, but if we can afford it, I don't mind)

I also always hope that my good deals stay "good deals" when someone passes them to the next person. Of course it belongs to whoever bought it from me so they can do as they please, but it would be nice if they would pass on the "savings".

BTW, if I decide to relist it, it will be at $95 ppd again - I definitely would not raise the price due to the new interest in the program on the board. (I didn't think you were implying I might do that, but I just wanted to say that I wouldn't) :)

When Phonics Pathways arrives, I'm going to really study both and then decide ;)