Menu

Has anyone used Computer Science Pure & Simple for high school?

Has anyone used Computer Science Pure & Simple for high school? Book 1 is listed for grades 5-12, and book 2 for 7-12.

I just got this & am very excited with the potential for learning both logic & computer programming thought (just Logo & DOS, but the thinking process is there). I thought it would be a good high school elective, both for a fun class & for a good-looking transcript. I know public high schools do some computer stuff that is extremely simplistic.

Anyways, I need to decide whether it would work for high school, because if it *won't* work for high school, we'd have to get started right now (8th grade) to use the materials.

Also, if you *have* used it for high school, what kind of schedule did you use? Could I give a whole year's credit for both books, or would he need to do a chapter daily & finish both in a semester? I don't have a good feel for how long each lesson would take.

Julie

My son is doing Teencoder http://www.homeschoolprogramming.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=cPath=2_5

They say it is a one semester course. It is real programing. He's in seventh grade and doing the high school course. He's my computer oreinted kid and was looking for a challenge. He had to get a little help from me. I programmed in Fortran way back one and did a short non credit course in C#. I'm not sure the explanations are easy if you have no programming background. OTOH he has come close to doing it on his own and is 2 years younger than the target age.

It is sometimes discounted at Homeschool buyers co-op. We will probably get the next class when released. He's waiting for the game programming course.

for high school credit for one year. My ds used both books and just worked through it at his own pace. He enjoyed it. We did it in the summer and some during 10th grade.

As he did a chapter, he would show me what he programmed. The second book takes more time than the first. I thought it was worth it and will have my second ds get into when he is ready.

HTH

Karen,

Thanks so much! Just what I needed to know. Also good to know about allowing more time for book 2. I also thought we could skip chapter 1 of book 1. Did you call your credit "introductory programming" or something like that?

Trillium,

Looks like doing a year 2 might be a possibility! It looks reasonably priced, too. I didn't know there was a "Homeschool Programming" site -- neat.

Julie

Karen,

Thanks so much! Just what I needed to know. Also good to know about allowing more time for book 2. I also thought we could skip chapter 1 of book 1. Did you call your credit "introductory programming" or something like that?

Trillium,

Looks like doing a year 2 might be a possibility! It looks reasonably priced, too. I didn't know there was a "Homeschool Programming" site -- neat.

Julie

Intro to Computer Programming was what I called it on his transcript.