Menu

Singapore math

Jackie in NE

We're going to kick off our math year with a review of math concepts via Singapore Math. This will be supplementation to our normal MUS curriculum. I want it to be easy and fun. (My kids tend to have a little math phobia). I'm planning to start with 1A and 1B for my two sons. They are ages 8 and 9, but just finished MUS alpha last year. (long story).

Here's my question (finally): I can't believe that I need a text AND a teacher's guide for this level of basic math. Do I need them both? Or could I get away with just the workbooks and the teacher's guide? I've never used Singapore, so I don't really know how they're set up.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Jackie

I recommend getting the text and workbooks and skipping the teacher's guide.

:iagree: If you were going to use Singapore as your main program, I'd recommend having the HIG. But since you're just using it to supplement I'd definitely skip the HIG.

We started Singapore with just the textbook and the workbook, but I found them too brief. Then I got the HIG and found it priceless. It tells you what concepts to teach, why they're important, and gives you ideas on how to do it. Then I use the textbook/workbook for review to make sure he's gotten the concepts. We love Singapore now!

I used singapore primary 1A through 5B without teacher's guides. But for 6 A and B, I found I was spending so much time doing my own work to do the problems myself, I was grateful for the teacher's guides then.:001_smile: Now we're starting their 7th grade one, and I'm totally grateful for the teacher's guide for the answers!

Or could I get away with just the workbooks and the teacher's guide? I've never used Singapore, so I don't really know how they're set up.

Jackie,

I think you've had your question answered but I just want to be very sure that you get the textbook. That is where you teach your child the different ways to solve problems. That's where you teach your child to "think" about math. The HIG talks about the different methods, but doesn't have the visuals of seeing, talking, thinking, etc. The workbook doesn't teach multiple ways at all; it just allows your student to solve the problem with whatever method he chooses. In the early levels, he may just choose one favorite method for the workbooks, but as time goes on, he may realize the benefits of other methods. So don't skip the textbook!

Julie

We're going to kick off our math year with a review of math concepts via Singapore Math. This will be supplementation to our normal MUS curriculum. I want it to be easy and fun. (My kids tend to have a little math phobia). I'm planning to start with 1A and 1B for my two sons. They are ages 8 and 9, but just finished MUS alpha last year. (long story).

Here's my question (finally): I can't believe that I need a text AND a teacher's guide for this level of basic math. Do I need them both? Or could I get away with just the workbooks and the teacher's guide? I've never used Singapore, so I don't really know how they're set up.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Jackie

Jackie,

You need both. The Text shows how to do things the Singapore way, and the Workbook practices them. I am sure you could do without the Text, but then you might also miss out on a new (and usually better) way to think through it.

I would also recommend the HIG's. Again I am sure you would do fine without out them, but they will just make things that much richer of a study.

Heather

p.s. You can sell the Workbooks and HIG's later and get 50% or more of your $$ back.