Menu

Anyone able to use SWR for independent learning?

Hi, I love Spell to Write and Read.

It's the only curriculum I haven't second guessed. But my now 4th grader wants to do as much as possible on his own at his own time. He wants to get his school work finished by 8:00 AM.

He's just kinda "done" with having to wait around on me.

Has anyone ben able to use SWR with lots of independent work?

Thanks.

~Christine in AL

( Disclaimer: SWR, not responsible for my spelling and certainly not my typing ;) )

I'm thinking about having my 6th gr. ds take the beginning of the year assessment test and then figuring out which list to start with. For us, I was thinking of just orally going over 20 words a week or so and discussing the rules with each word and the phonograms, but not actually marking them and making a complete SWR notebook with all of the reference pages.

Another thing I thought of doing was just catching spelling mistakes in his writing and using those as his spelling words (Ruth Beechick style) - we would discuss the rules & phonograms, etc. with those as well and then maybe test him at the end of the week.

He spells pretty well, so I would feel comfortable doing this with him, but I'm not sure if I would feel so comfortable doing it if spelling was an area he struggled in.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say on this --

ETA: I think it's important to remember that we are not slaves to this particular curriculum & are free to trust ourselves as our kids' teachers and make changes as we see fit. I remember feeling like a big SWR failure for the first year until it dawned on me that I didn't *have* to do everything recommended, no matter how strong the suggestions were.

Edited by InHisGrip