Menu

Heroes of the City of Man....

Wow! I wish I had seen this earlier....

If you've used this, could you share how, and what else you might have used with it? I'm certain our history is going to be a mish-mash of things already, and I saw a few questions that involved doing some history-based research - did you/could you rely on just that for your history study?

Did you have time for other lit that wasn't in "Heroes"?

And, did you by any chance use Leithart's "A House for My Name" - an overview of the Old Testament - either before or along-side "Heroes"? I would *really* like to use this, too. I just really have *NO* idea how much we can reasonably cover in two hours a day.

Thanks!

Edited by Rhondabee

I am planning to use this as a supplement to our Ancient Lit reading. I simply went through the book and tried as much as I could to align it with what we are planning to read. Those parts in the book that didn't fit exactly (for instance we aren't going to read all the different trilogies of tragic plays), we are going to read anyway, just because it gives a good overview of Ancient Lit and worldview.

I wasn't aware of the book on the OT! I'll have to check it out!

I didn't do much w/Heroes. I just had them read the corresponding parts of Heroes along with the Great Book they were reading, and answer one, two, or sometimes all the questions. We didn't do any of the more involved questions. As far as history study, I can't remember it it would be enough... we didn't use it for history. They read Spielvogel's Western Civ for history.

Really, if they just read the commentary which Heroes provides and didn't answer any questions, they would still learn a lot. I just found that we can't discuss or answer every single question.

As far as using it along with "House" I'd say, just buy them both, and pick and choose the best parts for you.

I've never used "House" but I have used Brightest Heaven of Invention (Shakespeare) and Ascent to Love (Dante). Both excellent, excellent, excellent. I used them in the same way as I described above. The students just read them along w/the book.

I tried to read as much as I could from the Leithart books and bring up interesting topics at lunch or in the car, and that was about the extent of our discussion.

I also have Leithart's book "Deep Comedy." Deep stuff and maybe I'm mired in something I don't understand, so I haven't finished it. But it's great. It talks about some lit but not as a study guide to those works. (This book is for me, not the kids.)

Sounds good! We'll keep our history plans in place (ha! as if I actually have those in place - LOLOLOL!!!), and we'll use the Leithart as "pre-discussion" fodder, keeping WEM as our main lit discussion guide.

My parents have been here all day, and I just got these in from Amazon yesterday, so I haven't had much time with them!

Thank you, ladies, for sharing!!