Menu

Does anyone would like to share favorite premixes without shortening?

Hi,

I am looking for some homemade premixes ( for muffins,cookies,pancake ,waffles etc) that I can prepare that does not use shortening. I am trying to plan ahead so that my kids will have a good breakfast before school starts .

Please help!!

Running out of ideas,

Caryn

instead I use butter & store the mixes in the freezer. I like to start each term with a dozen scone mixes, dumpling mixes, bags of apple crisp toppings, etc. in my freezer. I have a coconut muffin mix that I store in my pantry. Most of my mixes are "just add water" so they are quick to make up on a moment's notice.

For a quick, hot breakfast I find that the "prepare the night before" breakfast casseroles the easiest or have muffins, pancakes, french toast, etc. frozen to pop into the microwave. My dc cook porridge in the microwave or make eggs & toast if they want a hearty breakfast.

JMHO,

Thank you, Deb for the great idea about storing the pre mix in freezer.

Can you post your coconut muffin mix recipe? It sounds great, I would love to try it.

Anyone else would like to post their favorite premix recipes??

Caryn

Put 1 and 1/2 c. of oatmeal in the blender and process at GRIND until the consistency of flour. Remove from blender. Mix 1 T. baking powder into the “flourâ€. Add a pinch of salt (optional).

Put the rest of the ingredients into the blender in the order listed:

3/4 c. milk

1 egg (or equivalent Egg Beaters)

2 T. oil

2 T. brown sugar

1/4 t. salt

oatmeal flour mixture

Allow to stand for 5 minutes before using (gets thicker). Pour onto preheated griddle over medium high heat.

Enjoy! These are filling because of the fiber in the oatmeal.

Good pancakes for those who cannot eat wheat.

Put 1 and 1/2 c. of oatmeal in the blender and process at GRIND until the consistency of flour. Remove from blender. Mix 1 T. baking powder into the “flour”. Add a pinch of salt (optional).

Put the rest of the ingredients into the blender in the order listed:

3/4 c. milk

1 egg (or equivalent Egg Beaters)

2 T. oil

2 T. brown sugar

1/4 t. salt

oatmeal flour mixture

Allow to stand for 5 minutes before using (gets thicker). Pour onto preheated griddle over medium high heat.

Enjoy! These are filling because of the fiber in the oatmeal.

Good pancakes for those who cannot eat wheat.

What a fantastic idea! Thanks for the recipe, I think we'll try it right now!

ETA: Well shoot, I just remembered we ran out of milk last night. :( We'll have to try them tomorrow. Also, please excuse my ignorance, but after adding all the ingredients to the blender, do you just pulse it until they're combined?