Menu

Scholastic Reading Counts

Dana

I'm using Scholastic's Book Wizard to track reading level of my son's books. Many books have "Reading Counts Quizzes" associated with them. It looks like this is a program that schools use.

Does anyone have experience using these for a homeschool or know other locations for quizzes over books? Thanks!

We used Reading Counts in the last school in which I taught. Basically the kids had lexile scores based on placement tests, and they had to read books within a certain range in order for the books to count. (The lexile scores do somewhat correlate with grade levels, but the students were not told their grade levels.) They had to score at least 80 on a test to pass. Once a student had a high enough lexile score, he/she could read books on any level. In our school, which was featured in Scholastic's newsletter one month, the students were given rewards for meeting certain goals.

For some kids this worked out very well, and for others it didn't. I worked with some kids in this program whose reading skills improved tremendously; I even worked with them during my so-called planning time. (These were sixth graders, and some of them started on first grade reading level.) However, some students figured out the system and intentionally scored low on the placement tests so that they could qualify to read books on a low level and get credit for them. Also, some who were in a high enough lexile range to read any books they wanted consistently chose books on a lower level, and as a result of not challenging themselves, they became weaker in reading.

Book Adventure is a free site with quizzes. However, it is much more limited than Reading Counts. There isn't a quiz for most of the books that ds reads. However, we still do the quizzes there when they're available because ds enjoys doing them. To be quite honest, though, I think some of the questions aren't good test questions, but ds and I discuss them when we come across questions with ambiguous answers.