Menu

CLE reading question...how to use

I am starting CLE reading with grades 2,4, and 5. The 2nd grade has 2 readers and 10 workbooks, the others have 1 reader and 5 workbooks....how do I make this work out for the whole year, the 2nd grade seems as though it will last the year, but the other 2 seem as though they will only last half a year, if we cover a lesson a day, 4 days a week. Am I just approaching this wrong? I have never used CLE before. Thanks!

I am using CLE for Reading for the first time this year. I spoke with a rep at a conference a few months ago and asked the same questions. Because so many other subjects include reading (history, science, etc.) it is only a 6 month study.

Here is what I am doing...after our math block (our first subject of the day) we do a "Language Arts" block. They do CLE Language Arts and either CLE Reading or Writing With Ease. I alternate days. So, this week they are doing WWE Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Reading on Tuesday and Thursday. Next week they will do Reading on M/W/F and WWE T/Th. This will stretch the course out to be a year long.

They spend about an hour (at least I tell them to) reading other books throughout the day. Additionally, I use http://www.bookadventure.com as a fun way to test comprehension. Mine love that site.

HTH

I only use the readers until Grade 4 - when there are 5 lightunits per grade level. I use several Veritas novel comp guides for novel units for the second semester. It is a great combo. There are several other excellent novel guides for your second semester.

I decided against the grades 1-3 CLE reading lightunits (there are 10 of them for a full year ) bc they emphasize diacritical markings in their phonics instruction - which didn't go with the SSRW curriculum my children had already completed. I can see the benefits though and may do it differently now if I had a do over! CLE is very complete and excellent reading curriculum however you decide to use it.