Menu

Need curriculum sequence advice please

If you homeschooled all the way through high school do you have any recommendations of curriculum sequences that worked well for you from the grammar stage up, or disappointments?

My dd is a gifted learner however I do not plan on letting her accelerated more than 1 or possibly 2 grades. My plan (with awesome advice from another poster) is to go wider and deeper in each grade. I follow the WTM mostly and we are secular. We are currently in the middle of 3rd grade and she is doing Singapore Math + all extras, History Odyssey Early Modern level 1, My Pals are Here (new) ¾ + all extras, VIE 3, Sequential Spelling, Latin for Children A, Artistic Pursuits, Self-made geography, philosophy, and music appreciation curriculum. I plan on adding IEW writing and picking up another grammar. ??? Our goal is to do Latin all the way through Wheelock’s and incorporate Spanish in there somehow too. I’d also like to stay fairly rigorous in Math and Science; keep history chronological and I also want her to be very prepared for the SAT’s and ACT’s.

I know it sounds crazy to be thinking that far in advance but I just got her CAT’s back and she got a perfect score, so I feel like my responsibility level just quadrupled. Thank you so much for any advice and input. I truly value the opinions of this hive.

If I may, I'd like to first suggest you take a deep breath and relax! This homeschooling business is a marathon and what you foresee now for high school may be entirely different by the time you get there. Curricula and programs come in and out fashion, and in and out of print. Your children change so much as they pass through puberty that it is hard to anticipate what their needs will be.

What you should focus on now is to think about what your final goal is, what kind of young adult you plan to let loose from your homeschool 10 years from now. Not what books you want to have read or what languages or math level mastered, but what that person will be like. For instance, my goal was to have each ds have a love of learning, to have the skills and tools needed to continue their education no matter what they decides to do. I want them to be able to think, form opinions and be able to articulate them clearly, logically and persuasively. Most of all I wanted to be sure they become a young men of good character.

There is no one right or wrong path to get to goals like these, no perfect sequence of curricula. I understand first hand the issues and challenges that come with giftedness, asynchronous development, and learning disabilities. Been there, done that. I chose early on to ignore grade level and instead focus on the child in front of me. I used the WTM as a guide for what kind of work my dc should be doing and more importantly why. Follow your dd's lead and go as fast as she wants, but by all means have additional material so you can go deeper. If she isn't interested in the depth, drop it and move on. Just meet her at her level and move forward. All that matters is moving forward towards that goal. The details will fall into place year by year, even though you may hit some frustrating periods where she seems to hit a wall.

Besides using the WTM as my guide, I have also followed some wisdom from a couple of unschooling gurus. I believe for instance that learning DOES happen all the time, as John Holt wrote. I follow Sandra Dodd's advice of "strewing the path" with interesting books or projects that my dc might want to stop and study. We all do that -- picking up random books from the library and leaving them out in case someone picks it up out of curiousity -- you never know where it might lead. The idea is the same the way your kids might stop and study some interesting rock or bug when out for a walk in the neighborhood. The goal remains the same whether or not you stop to check out something interesting, but the journey is so much richer and worthwhile when are intrigued and stop for a longer look.

So no, I can't recommend any particular sequence of curricula, I just can tell you what philosophy has guided me through homeschooling a couple of "outside the box" kids. Hope that helps!

Whoa! I feel like someone just laid a kind hand on my shoulder and put me back into the seat I was jumping out of. :blush: That was the most honest, compassionate and laid back response I've read on these boards. Thank you very much. I've always been an over reactive planner. No wonder nobody but you has answered on two boards. :001_smile: I'm taking a deep breath and am going to go ponder some things.

If I may, I'd like to first suggest you take a deep breath and relax! This homeschooling business is a marathon and what you foresee now for high school may be entirely different by the time you get there. Curricula and programs come in and out fashion, and in and out of print. Your children change so much as they pass through puberty that it is hard to anticipate what their needs will be.

What you should focus on now is to think about what your final goal is, what kind of young adult you plan to let loose from your homeschool 10 years from now. Not what books you want to have read or what languages or math level mastered, but what that person will be like. For instance, my goal was to have each ds have a love of learning, to have the skills and tools needed to continue their education no matter what they decides to do. I want them to be able to think, form opinions and be able to articulate them clearly, logically and persuasively. Most of all I wanted to be sure they become a young men of good character.

There is no one right or wrong path to get to goals like these, no perfect sequence of curricula. I understand first hand the issues and challenges that come with giftedness, asynchronous development, and learning disabilities. Been there, done that. I chose early on to ignore grade level and instead focus on the child in front of me. I used the WTM as a guide for what kind of work my dc should be doing and more importantly why. Follow your dd's lead and go as fast as she wants, but by all means have additional material so you can go deeper. If she isn't interested in the depth, drop it and move on. Just meet her at her level and move forward. All that matters is moving forward towards that goal. The details will fall into place year by year, even though you may hit some frustrating periods where she seems to hit a wall.

Besides using the WTM as my guide, I have also followed some wisdom from a couple of unschooling gurus. I believe for instance that learning DOES happen all the time, as John Holt wrote. I follow Sandra Dodd's advice of "strewing the path" with interesting books or projects that my dc might want to stop and study. We all do that -- picking up random books from the library and leaving them out in case someone picks it up out of curiousity -- you never know where it might lead. The idea is the same the way your kids might stop and study some interesting rock or bug when out for a walk in the neighborhood. The goal remains the same whether or not you stop to check out something interesting, but the journey is so much richer and worthwhile when are intrigued and stop for a longer look.

So no, I can't recommend any particular sequence of curricula, I just can tell you what philosophy has guided me through homeschooling a couple of "outside the box" kids. Hope that helps!

Absolutely lovely Jennifer. May I quote you to our home school group? I will give you all the credit?

Don't let me fool you -- I've reached this zen like state of homeschooling only after years of gnashing my teeth, banging my head against the wall and losing hours of sleep because I was convinced I had ruined my children!

Sure, Lizzie, if you want to share the above go ahead, but give SWB, John Holt and Sandra Dodd credit, too! ;)