Menu

Question about MCT vocab - how many words/roots per lesson?

Annabel Lee

I've looked at RFWP's site thoroughly and cannot find this info. EftRU states Vol. 1 has 100 words. MCT vocab, particularly Building Language (as I am looking @ these for my 3rd grader) states it has 10 lessons. Does anyone know how many words per lesson? From the sample it appears one main root is introduced in the 1st lesson and others are mentioned (I assume for familiarity once those become the main root in future lessons).

We're doing Spanish this year, so MCT's vocab looks attractive from that aspect. EftRU is the other contender. Word Roots Beginning looked like a great program, but too workbook-y. Vocabulary Vine says it's best started in 4th grade, so I'll revisit that idea in a year.

Thanks for all the help and wonderful advice!

For building language, there are 12 lessons on stems, 1 stem per lesson. For a stem, e.g. RE, they first introduce its meaning, then covers probably a dozen RE words such as review, recall.... As an exercise, they also ask you to brainstorm more RE words which you have the flexibility to introduce more words. They also have a RE word closeup, a page on spanish and English comparison, a page on simile

For building language, there are 12 lessons on stems, 1 stem per lesson. For a stem, e.g. RE, they first introduce its meaning, then covers probably a dozen RE words such as review, recall.... As an exercise, they also ask you to brainstorm more RE words which you have the flexibility to introduce more words. They also have a RE word closeup, a page on spanish and English comparison, a page on simile

Caesar's English I is a huge step up from Building Language. Lessons alternate between vocabulary and roots/stems. The online sample gives a good idea of the content.

Thanks for the details, cimhog. Hmm, so I'm wondering if EftRU is counting every single word when they advertise "100 words" or if they mean 100 stems/roots. If each of the 12 MCT Bldg. Lang. lessons is similar to the 1st (in the online sample), they contain many words per lesson as you describe. How much time do you spend on a lesson when there are only 12 in the whole level? 3 weeks?

Would CE I be too much for a 3rd grader who's never done a roots or vocab. program? I do plan to keep this program in mind for 4th/5th grade.

I'd say for most 3rd graders, yes.