Menu

Reviews for Brimwood Press's "Tools for Young Historians"?

amtmcm

Considering that they have no formal background, and the ages they are, I think Brimwood Press's "Tools for Young Historians" program might be an excellent starting point. It's designed for their ages (about 5th-8th), covers a very brief overview of world history (well, major civilizations of Western history in chronological order), and it's pulled together by an engaging novel about kids time-traveling and learning of the development of the calendar...

It's meant to be about a semester course, and you could choose to do it as written, then go on to another program for the second semester, or you could slow it down just a bit and include additional outside readings about each of the periods you encounter.

I think it would be an excellent way to give them an overall framework of world history -- and it's very engaging.

Hi!

I saw this post on this thread (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116131&highlight=Tools+Young+Historians) and I'm intrigued. I will be starting my younger DD's history rotation next year and I'm thinking Tools for Young Historians might be a great start. Have you used this and can give me some pros & cons?

Thanks!

Ann

Ann,

You may have read all I have to say in one of the previous threads.

The World View was outstanding. Although it took only a week, the concepts really stuck with my kids as to why people in history acted the ways they did. Also, when reading books we will talk about the author's world view.

There is much to say about the rest of the products, so please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Penny

I met the author at an Orthodox homeschool conference, and she did workshops for the children. They were hands-down my kids' favorite workshops. I also participated in one of her adult workshops and was very impressed. I would love to purchase these materials! I really found them well-done and valuable.

How many weeks did you end up taking? Would 1 hour 2-3 times per week take about 12 weeks?

Thanks!

This is difficult to say. We tend to spend more time on history than most; I can never get it done in the time frame others say they can. Possibly because we discuss too much.

The material given is very rich and deep, and can be covered briefly or extensively. The World View will take a week, the Tooth Pick time will take 2 to 3 days, the rest can take much longer. It can be done in a 3 month time frame, or can be stretched. Actually, at the end, I tended to rush it a little more because my kids had no exposure to modern history (we are on SOTW 4 now) and because there is so much info, very condensed, in the modern times. We will go back and review using the Brimwood materials. I love the coloring book and am trying to find a cheap way to get the pages laminated to use as placemats. Much info is included on each one, so every meal could be a period history review!

We could not read all of the stories included in the World View. Some were too disturbing.

Blessings,

Penny