Menu

if Saxon adv. math in 2 years:

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

did you do any lesson over the summer so as not to forget or did you take a break and then start where you left off. Ds and I planned to do 1-2 lessons a week this summer just to keep it fresh - but . . . we didn't do much! Anyway, how did you handle stopping mid book - did you review at the start of the year, if so how? Just looking for others experience on this!

Barb

Well I don't have any experience. My first two did it in one year, but this one is taking two. We also planned on doing some this summer but did not. My plan is to start back the first week of August and to give her the test for the material we have covered. I want her to do it without the book first, and then give her the book for correcting her mistakes.

Maybe something like that would work for you?

Linda

We just pick up where we left off.

Next Lesson.

With Saxon, Any problem missed has to be re-done by the student until correct.

And then it goes on my "corrections" list for two other days, so the student has to re-do it two other times too, 48 hours from each other

For example,

Monday - misses two problems

same day, re-works them until 100%

Then

on Tues and Thurs I'll put those problems on the Assignment sheet

If she misses it again on Tuesday, then I will add it to the Assignment sheet for Friday and Saturday also.

Every time they miss a problem, it gets added on two other days' assignment lists.

Sometimes the Re-do's add up, and we just do a lot of those for the day instead of a New Lesson. Sometimes, it's just a few extra.

Student's pace of mastery

Because we do this re-do of problems 2 or more times, we can pick up anywhere we left off, and any necessary re-learning takes care of itself

:seeya:

Guest Barb B

Thanks for your reply's! I guess I started wondering If I can remember this stuff after the break too. But I just did 1/2 a lesson today and it does come back. Moni - we do the same thing with re-do's! I forgot how much that practice takes care of any reviewing we need! I am thinking that in the first 2 weeks of school there will be more re-do's, but as time goes, less. Thanks for the reassurance! This is why I love Saxon - it is the spiral method of reviewing built into the lessons that makes this possible. I am feeling better now!

Barb