Menu

Speech Therapy???

My mom had been taking my brother to speech therapy. They said he had weak jaw muscles and had him chewing on some little instruments and drinking out of those swirly straws. Anyway my mom decide to quit going because she didn't care for the therapist and the therapist called to say she wanted her things back to use with other patients. Is this normal? My mom said they were all cheap little things and she wasn't thrilled with the idea that she was using these with multiple patients since they were things you put in your mouth. Plus she was paying $240/mo for once a week therapy and she thought she should be able to keep the stuff for that amount per month. So has anyone had this happen before?

First, wow! only $60 a session? We pay $85 and $90 here depending on the therapist.

Some of those things may not be cheap little things, especially if they were bought special thru specialty companies. You would be amazed how how much some little pieces are costing. But I have to agree, I wouldn't want them to go back in another child's mouth unless they were sterilized. My dd's SLP has provided several things for us to use but has not wanted them back after we used them. We have a great relationship however.

Is she going to start with a new therapist? How did she end the relationship with this one? On a bad note? If so, that may be why she is wanting those items back.

She just went to this one because she was close by. My mom ended up feeling like it was a waste of time. She never told me that she didn't like the lady. She just felt going and having the lady write on a tiny piece of paper to chew on something 10 times a day was not worth $60. My mom thought one of her kids had misunderstood the Therapist when she called to say she wanted her stuff back. Then my mom got an e-mail from her. My brother just recently came down with pneumonia and so my mom is wondering if he didn't catch it from using the used items. Now my dh says the therapist is probably mad that my mom quit coming and that was why she was asking for it back. Anyway, my mom wanted me to ask to see if that was normal procedure.