Menu

ANyone familar with homeschool options in Greenville Texas

My single parent sister is going to begin homeschooling her ds 15yo because of school difficulties. He is not terribly self motivated, although very bright, and she works full time so it's a little difficult. Ideally, she would like a situation where he attends classes 2-3 days a week and is home the rest of the week. She plans to work with him in the late afternoon/evening.

They live in the country and he doesn't yet drive so attending various coops won't work. But she could take him to a place and return for him at the end of her workday.

I know this is a tall order but I've seen the hive come through on slim shots before. Suggestions anyone?

Here is a weblink to a Yahoo group of homeschoolers in Hunt County. Greenville is one of the towns with members.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HC_Homeschoolers/

That is for an "inclusive" (no religious affiliation) group.

Christian Home Educators Family Support (CHEFS of Hunt County, TX) Stacy Palmer, Leadership Team, Communications, P. O. Box 1515, Greenville, TX 75402-1515,903-217-6355, 903-455-8165, Welcome-atCHEFSupport.org, http://www.CHEFSupport.org

When I went to the second weblink, the page stated that the site is undergoing revisions. So your sister could use one of those telephone numbers, if she wants to speak with someone.

I could not find any mention of a university model school for Greenville, as you requested.

I'm from Greenville, TX :001_smile:

But, not much help. The population is less than 30,000 and one public high school. There's a newish charter school called Phoenix and a private school called Greenville Christian.

I had no idea that yahoo group would be so active! You should have your sister ask about New Horizons. It's where I was threatened to be placed if I didn't stop skipping school. :D IIRC, it was a halfday alternative high school that taught just the basics. I'm not sure of its reputation now, but back then (15 years ago), it really was a no nonsense sort of place. I didn't want to go because I knew they would make me work harder than my current teachers. Of course, it could be terrible place now. I think you'll probably get the best answers from the yahoo group.

I can tell you where to get good BBQ, Mexican, and Chinese, though.