Menu

Book Tip - Writing Tools by Roy Peter Clark

Hi all,

Just wanted to pass on what I believe is a real find! I just ordered a copy. It's gotten great reviews on Amazon. :tongue_smilie:

I read chapters off his website before the book went to print and it was fabulous. It's kind of the adult condensed version of IEW that so many like...only it's $7.38 off eBay from SmokyMt books. :) Can't wait until it arrives; I'll give you a review when I can and tell all.

Looks like it will be really useful for HS'ers.

ISBN: 0316014990

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well, after reading the first few lessons and introduction, I have to say that this book is NOT suitable for young people. There are a few s*xual refs taken from passages, etc. It's unfortunate because the actual lessons are very good. Each of the 50 writing tips include exercises at the end for the student to try.

Overall, I don't regret getting the book, and I will read it myself and use the lessons to teach my daughter in her writing, and practice the suggestions myself in my own writing.

If only the author hadn't included the few adult refs, the book could have easily been a real asset to the homeschool community. I'm even considering writing a helps guide, myself, using the tips from this book but with more appropriate examples for younger folks. It really would make a good year's worth of writing lessons for High Schoolers.

Kim