Menu

IEW's Fix It Grammar & Easy Grammar Ultimate ??

jibaker103

I bought Fix It Grammar and my ds tried it this past week. All he did was make spelling and basic mechanical corrections (he flew through the definitions). He admitted not knowing much more than that. He is a rising 8th grader who had some basic grammar instruction in 6th and 1/2 of 7th grades in ps so he knows nouns, verbs, capitalize at the beginning of a sentence, and punctuation at the end of a sentence but he doesn't know when to use a comma or colon, etc. I want to reinforce the basics he has learned and have him dig deeper with advanced level grammar.

So can I have my ds work on Easy Grammar Ultimate and Fix It Grammar through out the year? Do they complement each other or do I need to have him do the EGU first? I am looking for something that will get him up to speed this year and then be able to reinforce with practice in 9th and 10th. I'm open to all suggestions!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Fix-It is not your basic grammar program, although it is a wonderful program. If you want to teach your son more grammar, then you would need something like Winston Grammar / Shurley English, etc... I'm not as familiar with Easy Grammar, so I can't recommend it personally. Fix-It is wonderful, however, in preparing your child for high school testing (SAT). It also gets him in the habit of editing his own writing. If you would like to talk to the author about it, she is frequently on the IEW families yahoo group, and is extremely helpful.

Blessings,