Menu

Math and LA Abeka, CLE , Horizons, BJU

blessedmom3

Users or ex-users of these programs , I would like to know how much time does a lesson take for the program you use?

I am trying to decide which math to buy for 2nd and 3rd grade.

CLE seems to have great reviews.

However , looking at the samples , it looks like there is a lot of work . 4 or 5 pages/ lesson for Math and LA which is about 9-10 pages /day !!!

This is more than Abeka or BJU . Or am I wrong?

I've used Horizons and I am considering to switch to CLE but I am worried there will be too many pages for my ds . Horizons takes us about 15-20 min./lesson (for 1st)

How long does it take (average) to complete a lesson in LA and math for the program you use : Abeka,BJU and CLE ?

The layout makes it look like there is a lot to it, but each page actually doesn't have that much on it, and there is a lot of white space on each page. I suspect that it could be reworked and each lesson fit on two pages.

It takes us about twenty minutes to do the Math (depending on the level of cooperation from the student); looking at the sample lessons the LA will be the same.

For the 1st grade math, we spent as much as thirty minutes, BUT, Dot typically does two or more lessons a day. Yesterday we spent more, but she did four lessons and the final test AND took time out to play chess with her brother and a round of checkers with me. (I sent her off while I set up the test.)

Dd9 switched last year from ABeka to CLE. CLE takes her no longer, and I think it causes her less frustration because the lessons are more gently incremental. The instructions in the workbook are also much better in CLE.

Dd7 uses Horizons. It is going well now, but many seem to complain about the insufficient teaching instructions in Horizons so I don't know how it will continue to go well as concepts become more advanced.

Comparing all three, CLE also seems more thorough. There is no doubt all bases are covered. I don't know if such a broad scope is actually necessary, but it IS reasurring.

HTH!

CLE introduces concepts gently, but often they're introduced sooner than in other programs. For example, the 100 level is approximately 1st grade, but would work well for a kindergarten child. Lesson 10 of the first lightunit introduces place value to the tens column, this is effectively the end of the second week of the first year of school when most programs are still teaching children one to one correspondance. Place value is often not taught until after a child has grasped addition and subtraction facts to ten, which could be months into the school year. The VA SOLS have the children learning place value to the tens in first grade; CLE does that within the first two weeks and by the end of the first 3 or 4 months has introduced place value to the hundreds column.

They also introduce money in a much more logical fashion, I think. The penny comes first, while the children are learning one-to-one correspondance. In lesson ten (the same lesson that introduces place value) children are introduced to the dime, it's value, and counting by tens. Within weeks the children are able to count dimes & pennies up to 99 cents because they're taught to count the dimes first by tens and then the pennies (10,20,30,40,41,42,43 = 43 cents).

The second lightunit of the 100 level introduces congruent shapes and uses the actual word congruent. No talking down at kids here! Yet as an example of how gentle all this is, by this time your children have only memorized addition and subtraction to five, and have yet to start using the word "minus" rather than "take away."