Menu

Reading Comprehension books/R& S or CLE

sted

I never thought I'd be looking for these but I'm looking for some Reading . a great reader, learned to read early and it all has come fairly easy for her. However I'm noticing now that we are hitting 6th grade she's kind of plateaued. I have never used a formal reading program, more books and novels she's chosen. She's not too bad narrating but seems to have a bit of trouble with it at times (she's sometimes reluctant). I'd love to do a reading program this year and work on skills like context clues, inferring etc.

So far, I'm looking at Rod and Staff, CLE or literature guides (like Progeny press) with books. I'm probably leaning towards the first two. Anyone care to share their experience with these programs? I understand they are both Mennonite and CLE uses coloured pictures. What about story content? Are they quite "Mennonite" at the grade 5 or 6 level? I read one story on CLE website for grade 6 about pacifism but are there many like that?

Thanks for your help,

Shannon

The grade 5 and up readers tend to have more of their POV regarding war, the military, etc. How much that bothers you is kind of an individual thing. I have a son who is likely to end up choosing the military, so while I like the rigour of the program, I don't know that it's the right choice for us for that reason.

Specifically it was on the military issue: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114801

I still like CLE for reading, and plan to continue with it as long as it meets my goals. Prior to using CLE, I did look at R&S, and in my opinion the stories were not as good and there was more Mennonite viewpoint in the grade 5 and up readers. As a family, we have many beliefs in common with the Mennonites, but differ on their views of non-resistence, pacifism, and government employment.

I haven't used any Progeny Press guides, but have that on my radar for the second "semester" next year.