Menu

Nursing Home Ministry

I am trying to organize a nursing home ministry for homeschool kids. We would visit once or twice a month and give cheer to the elderly.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I think I might have 10-12 kids ages 2-10. I know I want to include a singing time. When our small group has done this, the people in the nursing just love the singing.

What else could we do? Thanks so much, Laura

Hi! I saw your messages on INCHES (where I don't post much, but read the digest daily.)

I think you have a great idea (unfortunately, I'm on the way wrong side of town to join you all - maybe a good excuse to start something in our neck of the woods.)

I just wanted to suggest that you talk to the activities director of the facility you're planning to visit. When we take girl scouts for caroling at Christmas time, the activities person always has great suggestions for things we can do. A regular games time might be fun, or if you have a lot of older kids, maybe reading aloud.

Best of luck with your venture!

I am trying to organize a nursing home ministry for homeschool kids. We would visit once or twice a month and give cheer to the elderly.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I think I might have 10-12 kids ages 2-10. I know I want to include a singing time. When our small group has done this, the people in the nursing just love the singing.

What else could we do? Thanks so much, Laura

You'll want to talk to the activities director. If you are going to be singing (unless it is a caroling kind of thing from room to room) then the residents will need to be in their dining/activity hall. It will have to be scheduled at a time that nothing else is scheduled - including baths, etc.

You'll want to talk to the activities director. If you are going to be singing (unless it is a caroling kind of thing from room to room) then the residents will need to be in their dining/activity hall. It will have to be scheduled at a time that nothing else is scheduled - including baths, etc.

oh yes, i plan to talk to the activities director and have an assigned time once a month in the actvity area. our small group does a similar thing.

A nursing home here will let people bring pets in to see the residents as long as they're good and have all their shots...might want to see if some of they will let the kids rotate bringing puppies or cats there.

The activities director used to breed Imperial Shih Tzus and would bring the litters there to help socialize them...the puppies, that is.:001_smile:

ETA: Also, if you're going to be there regularly, be ready to have all the kids TB tested. Some homes may require that.