Menu

S/O-question about the John MacArthur Bible studies

I have the huge MacArthur commentary on the Bible (LOVE it)-would I still get much out of his studies? I've only seen samples, but the most helpful part of the studies looks like it's the commentary! Did you find the questions to be helpful if you used it alone, or are they better for group discussion?

I haven't sat and compared it side-by-side with the Bible commentary, but from just eyeballing it I'd say they're VERY similar.

But, I like this because I can just take the study book with me if I want to work on it outside, or while waiting for a child to finish swim practice, etc.. It has the text you're studying in it already.

Also, with each passage there are several questions. A couple might be simple recall from the passage, but most are not. It's not just simply "Read the Bible text, then the notes. Move on to chapter 3." :)

The questions lead you toward deeper thought, and really understanding what the passage is saying. I think it'd be of value even if you have his study Bible. :D

Thanks so much, Hillary. I do like that he includes the text, and that it's NKJV (which is my 2nd favorite after ESV). Plus sometimes the sheer amount of commentary in his voluminous commentary book can throw you off. I might do better in a way with a more handy type of thing like this to take with me, like you said. Thanks again!