Menu

Looking for some ancient literature recommendations for 7th grader

Mary in GA

I would like dd, 7th, to read some version of Gilgamesh, preferably somewhat sanitized! I would also like recommendations for versions The Iliad and The Odyssey.

She is a very good reader, and I'm not sure we'll be revisiting ancients again in her homecshooling. Thanks!

Mary

My 7th grader read the Rosemary Sutcliff versions of Iliad & Odyssey. He read them with a book club, which helped motivate him, but all the kids really enjoyed their discussions on these books.

For my older dd, as I recall, I printed out some of Gilgamesh from online & choose select sections to highlight for her. I especially wanted her to see connections to Noah & such. Not sure if something better is out there.

We really liked the out-of-print "retelling" of the Epic of Gilgamesh and Other Babylonian Tales by Jennifer Westwood -- NO mention of the temple prostitute teaching Endiku "the ways of love". The book also includes several Babylonian myths, including a creation myth and a flood myth, which you can use for a compare/contrast paper with Biblical Scripture accounts of Creation and the Flood. Here's a recent thread on versions of Gilgamesh:

Best Epic of Gilgamesh version?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108009&highlight=gilgamesh

We read the full translations of both The Iliad and The Odyssey by Robert Fagles; they are LONG, so, while I think a strong middle school reader could do these versions (esp. if you're doing some of it aloud together), you might either want to cut out some of the chapters (esp. some of the "listing of warriors" or descriptions of ships, armor, or even some of the MANY fight scene chapters in The Iliad). Or, for a nice retelling, either the Rosemary Sutcliffe versions already mentioned, or perhaps a prose version of The Odyssey -- drat! a friend is borrowing mine so I can't remember who did it, but it was a hardback Barnes & Noble version from about 8 years back, with a mostly black flyleaf cover.

I HIGHLY recommend the Garlic Press publishers Discovering Literature guide for The Odyssey -- very meaty and interesting! See it here: http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Odyssey+Literature+Teaching+Guide/007442/1247527038-1306693 We were very unhappy with the skimpy SMARR lit. guide for the Epic of Gilgamesh, and thought the Novel Unit guide for The Iliad was only so-so.

Also, you didn't mention it, but if you're doing the ancients, be sure to include some Greek myths -- there is SO much allusion to the The Iliad, The Odyssey and Greek myths in literature, film, and culture! Also, the Greek gods show up quite a bit in The Iliad, so if you've read some Greek myths first, it helps you sort out all of the gods and heroes geneologies.

And finally, you might like to include this prose version of The Aeneid: "The Aeneid for Boys and Girls" by Alfred Church (http://www.amazon.com/Aeneid-Boys-Girls-Alfred-Church/dp/1604595191/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247527666&sr=8-1) The epic of The Aeneid was Roman author Virgil's homage to the Greek Homer's two epics of The Iliad and The Odyssey. A few characters from The Iliad show up in The Aeneid, and it starts where The Iliad ends -- with the fall and pillage of Troy, and the escape of the Greek hero Aeneid with some of his family, and their search for a new homeland. Some great epic themes, and it, too is often alluded to.

Enjoy your ancient lit. year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I have saved your thoughtful post. Great recommendations!

I had a couple of versions of Greek myths in mind, but I had totally forgotten about The Aeneid for Boys and Girls! My ds read that years ago, and I remember he really liked it.

Thanks for the guide suggestions as well. I had not even thought past lining up the books. I feel like I'm behind in my planning! Thanks!

Mary