Menu

Help with geneaology ????

I am interested in researching my ancestry. Could someone recommend a book (simple, like for dummies) on how to begin such a task. I have looked at ancestry.com but not sure if that is worth the money or not. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks,

Michelle

I am interested in researching my ancestry. Could someone recommend a book (simple, like for dummies) on how to begin such a task. I have looked at ancestry.com but not sure if that is worth the money or not. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks,

Michelle

There is some wonderful stuff in Ancestry, but there is also a lot of unverified stuff that can really lead you astray (like other people's research that might not have reference to primary documents).

Most libraries have a pretty good genealogy section. You should be able to find some basic books there.

Start with what you know, then with what your parents and/or grandparents know. Make sure that you annotate your information with your source, so that if there is a conflict you can go back and look at why you thought something was true. Then you will have a framework to start adding in info from things like census returns, probate records, marriage/birth/death records.

We have used a free program called Personal Ancestry File. It is from LDS, but that hasn't gotten in the way of our using it. It is one of the best and most widely used programs available and I think it is quite easy to use.

When you get ready to use Ancestry, check if the libraries in your area have access.

Family Tree Magazine has a very useful website and publishes some good beginning genealogy books. I also like "The Sleuth Book for Genealogists" Also, Familysearch.org (LDS) has a lot of free information, census info, other peoples trees, etc. Ancestry has a 14 day free trial. Ancestry is available at some public libraries and at some LDS Family History Centers for free.

Get the first few generations from living family. Try to get as many names, dates, siblings, towns etc. GET STORIES... the tree is not good without the stories!

After you have those, then you got digging. Not sure of a book, but find a library in your area that keeps census records and books with cemetary records, newspapers, etc. The staff won't hold your hand.. but they are good to answer questions and get you started.

If you really LOVE it... the internet can be worth the money for a brief time. Ancestry.com has incredible family histories that may match yours... also, all marriage and census records at your finger tips.... even stuff from around the world. I paid for it for about 3 months, then canceled.

I would bet there are geneology interest board ... just like this ONE is for WTM fans. You might learn alot there too.

My dad took a DNA test, and joined a family clan member type website. This really opened the door to a lot of information. these are usually dna surname projects. A male member sends in his dna, waits and gets the results. You then match up the markers to see who your family matches up with. Sometimes it is discovered someone had children with someone other than their husband.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

This might help you out...

:iagree: This is a great site.

Also, there may be a library close by with genealogical information, ours even holds beginning genealogy classes.

If you are comfortable with going to an LDS (Mormon) building most of them have a family history center with trained volunteers who love to help people research, or just learn the basics. Actually more non-members use the centers than members! No proselyting involved. This is actually how I got involved, I would go with my grandmother, who is not LDS.

• 5 weeks later...

I use FamilyTreeMaker software and would be lost without it. I think genealogy is a great learning activity. Your children will use every skill you can imagine. Listening skills, organizational skill, math, map reading, history, language, library skills, research, logical thinking...the list goes on.

An example: We had a relative who came from Germany in the early 1900's. We found him on a passenger list, he was coming to join other family, but then we could not find him on the State or Federal census. We check death records - nothing. Then we found that he had returned to Germany - just in time to be killed in World War 1 at the Battle of Somme.

So, of course it's now history time. My son learned about WW1 and the Battle of Somme. (ds did comment that returning to Germany was probably not the smartest thing this relative ever did. :))

We were fortunate enough to travel to Germany. Through our genealogy research we had the name of the town where my father's maternal grandfather was born. Believe it or not there were 5 towns in Bavaria with that name. We visited 3 of them and the Church Archives in Augsburg. There we found my great grandfather's birth record and a drawing of the town from 1863 showing the house in which he was born. We returned to the town to find relatives still living in the house. In fact there were four families still in town. We were welcomed with open arms and we have been in contact ever since. I am now working on my father's other side and am actually talking to someone in Germany with the same name - that I found on Facebook!

I agree - talk to you oldest relatives - get as much information as you can. Remember, they will not be here forever so do it now. They will most likely love to see you - schedule enough time to sit and listen to all their stories. It is the stories that bring family history to life. Record the conversation if everyone is comfortable - something they may say could later be the key to unlocking your family history. See if they have pictures you can scan. Ask the usual and the unusual questions. Find out what people did for a living, did they have family reunions, were they in the military, is there a family cemetery. We went to a family cemetery in TN and ds asked, "which one are we related to?" I said, "All of them!"

Genealogy has been quite rewarding and ds learning has been enriched.

ENJOY

World Vital Records has a 3 day free pass starting today! Definitely worth a look.

I subscribe to ancestry.ca (the Canadian portal to ancestry.com) and love it. Yes, there is undocumented stuff on there but it's pretty easy to identify. I have found a TON of stuff. It is integrated with Family Tree Maker software which I also use.

Best wishes in your quest! It is an incredibly joyful pasttime.

Janet