Menu

Question about The Story of Life by Kim Marshall

I have The Story of Life: From the Big Bang to You by Kim Marshall home from the library. I plan to use this book in the fall for the start of our Ancients study. I'll use it as dual purpose material: history/science.

(Book sleeve paraphrase) The author was a 6th grade teacher who wanted to present the belief in the Big Bang in simple terms and still leave room for divine intervention. He doesn't deal with geological eras and doesn't make evolution seem purposeful.

I've read the book and think it will work well for us. However, it was written in 1980. My knowledge of the science along these lines is shaky. Have there been major advances or changes in thinking in regards to the Big Bang that I may need to present?

Please, I'm not asking if I should do this or if you think it's right. I just want to know what I might be missing if I use this book. (We will be reading Genesis at the same time.) If someone knows of a more current book that's along the same lines and is accessible for a 6th grader, I would appreciate it.

The book Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy has a chapter about the universe that should contain the latest information on the Big Bang and the beginning of the universe.

You could try borrowing it from the library and looking online if it would fit your needs. It's recommended for the logic stage (I think it was recommended by Latin Centered Curriculum but I may be wrong).

The Story of Life sounds interesting. It isn't at our library and I can't find much on Amazon, so if you can, I'd be interested in knowing if you like it when you read it. It is available on Amazon for the cost of shipping so I'm tempted.

The book Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy has a chapter about the universe that should contain the latest information on the Big Bang and the beginning of the universe.

You could try borrowing it from the library and looking online if it would fit your needs. It's recommended for the logic stage (I think it was recommended by Latin Centered Curriculum but I may be wrong).

Sagira, I was hoping I could count on you for this topic.:D I'm on a wait list for the library for the 2009 edition. They have it in the adult section but I think the reviews mentioned 8th grade, so we'll see. Thank you.

The Story of Life sounds interesting. It isn't at our library and I can't find much on Amazon, so if you can, I'd be interested in knowing if you like it when you read it. It is available on Amazon for the cost of shipping so I'm tempted.

Emily, this is my second reading of the book. I haven't found anything better, but my grasp of the science in this area isn't the best. Since we're in the same city, you should be able to borrow it in your library system. I'll pm you.