Menu

How to get ready for Omnibus?

HollyBee

I would like to start Omnibus I in 7th grade for my dd, who is currently in 5th grade. What is the best way to get her ready for this? I know this is pretty vague, but I really am not sure where to start or what to ask! :o I guess the question is, are there certain curriculums that are especially helpful to make sure she's up to speed with whatever she'll need academically to tackle Omnibus?

Sorry, I'm sure that's clear as mud. Halp?

Thanks,

Holly

Omnibus is primarily a Great Books reading program, so I'm preparing my children by reading The Good Books. Or many good books anyway. Books that challenge their language and reading skills and have universal themes for us to discuss. You might find ideas here: http://www.greatbooksacademy.org/the_good_books.html I primarily pull literature from Ambleside lists for this preparation because I think CM also chose books with a good to "Great" progression in mind.

Omnibus also uses literature as a way to understand various historical periods, so having a historical framework to hook literature into is helpful. WTM, VP or other history programs should prepare a child with those pegs. We're using VP as our structure, but making it more literary. I think the WTM suggestion to read retellings of classic literature to minimize future intimidation can be an excellent one, *if* there are quality retellings available. In the case of stories like the Odyssey and Illiad there are many such choices. I don't think finding children's adaptations of stories like Pride and Prejudice or Great Expectations is necessary however. Better to just leave those for jr. high/high school and concentrate on the excellent literature that is available for 5th/6th graders. But that's MHO and all that. ;)