Menu

when do you summer school?

I MEANT AFTER SCHOOL, NOT SUMMER SCHOOL!! :P Does anyone do it right after school, or is that a recipe for disaster? I know I always wanted a break before I did my homework, but I would be driving to her house, so I kind of want to hurry up and get it done. It would only be one or two days a week after school (the rest on weekends), if that makes a difference.

Edited by RaeAnne

I pick times that work for our schedule. Since you're in the tutor type of situation, anytime that is available in both your schedules is fine, just as it would be if you were giving a piano lesson. I wouldn't arrive the same time as the student does, as she'll likely need a few minutes to get a drink, interact with caregiver, and use the facilities.

It might be hard every day -- and she probably will need a snack -- but when we've been in that situation, right after school actually works best. With too long a break, and getting more tired as it moves into evening, it can actually be harder to turn to tutoring or homework. I think weekend is even better if there's time.

Before school for our work. After school for their homework (which isn't that much).

I'd be hard pressed to have productive, focused kids after a 6-hour school day.

:iagree: The kids play for a little while before breakfast, but right after DC are done eating, they do their school work. No newspaper, games, etc. until their seatwork is checked by me. After school is DC's time for playing outside for an hour or two before the evening routine -- chores, dinner, homework, reading, bath, and bed. Lights out about 7pm. During the school year, DS doesn't watch any tv during the school week, and in the summer DS and DD are allowed about an hour while their little brother naps.

But you know your own DC best. :) You could always try right after school to see whether they are able to attend to their work then or not.

:iagree: The kids play for a little while before breakfast, but right after DC are done eating, they do their school work. No newspaper, games, etc. until their seatwork is checked by me. After school is DC's time for playing outside for an hour or two before the evening routine -- chores, dinner, homework, reading, bath, and bed. Lights out about 7pm. During the school year, DS doesn't watch any tv during the school week, and in the summer DS and DD are allowed about an hour while their little brother naps.

But you know your own DC best. :) You could always try right after school to see whether they are able to attend to their work then or not.

Wow! What time do your children get up if they are in bed at 7 p.m.? We're just getting done with supper at 7 unless we have an evening activity which usually starts at 6:30 p.m.

This is our biggest challenge to afterschooling -- I think before school would be better, but given our work schedule our kids go to bed around 9-930 (we get home from work around 7) and get up basically in time to go to school. Interesting to me to think of putting them on an earlier schedule.

Lights out about 7pm.

We also go to bed early, although just begin our bedtime routine about 7:00. We read and discuss SOTW and other history books during that time. Lights are out by 8:00 because that's when dh and I get our time together.

This also helps the kids get up at 6:30 to do our school work. We leave for ps at 8:45.

This also helps the kids get up at 6:30 to do our school work. We leave for ps at 8:45.

Ah that helps me understand why you do before schooling. What time does ps start and end for your kids? My kids are at the bus stop at 7:45 a.m. Classes start at 8:15 a.m. and end at 3:00 p.m.

Ah that helps me understand why you do before schooling. What time does ps start and end for your kids? My kids are at the bus stop at 7:45 a.m. Classes start at 8:15 a.m. and end at 3:00 p.m.

Elementary schools in our district run 9:00-3:00 all days but Thursday, when they begin 1/2 an hour later. That's time for the teachers to "collaborate". I say whatever. My philosophy is that they get a precious 2 hours of education every morning, followed by 6 hours of socializing and enrichment.

Wow! What time do your children get up if they are in bed at 7 p.m.? We're just getting done with supper at 7 unless we have an evening activity which usually starts at 6:30 p.m.

During the school year, we try to have lights out at 7pm. My 2 oldest DC are asked to stay in bed until 6am. They play until around 6:30, then we eat breakfast. We do school from around 6:45 to 7:20. Then my oldest DC make their beds, get dressed, and brush their teeth while I get the baby up, changed, and dressed. If the older kids don't dilly-dally, they usually have 15 minutes to read the paper (DS LOVES the sports page) or play a game. We leave for the bus stop for DS at 7:45. His school goes from 8:10 to 2:50. In the afternoon after school, he has plenty of outside play time before he has to come in for our evening routine. Helps to make up for only 10 minutes of recess once a day. :tongue_smilie:

I know this early schedule doesn't work for many families. And when DC start to have evening activities, we may need to adjust it. But for now it really works well for us! Extra bonus: I get a couple hours of grown-up time in the evening before I go to bed. :)

Edited by Mama2Three