Menu

tog ? about transparencies with map aids

trisharog

I have read and reread the transparency/map aids thread on the TOG board but I am still in a fog. This is my first year with TOG and I am really in a fog about geography in general.

So, first, do you print of each of the student maps onto a transparency? Specifically, I am in year 2 redesigned unit 3 , and 4 and will also do Year3 unit 1 . As you remember, we are starting with the colonies. I think we print the first map of land and body on paper and then the others on transparency paper.

I have read that the transparencies can be expensive. Is there a certain weight that is cheaper but still will work in a printer? Is it best to just let a copy shop do it for you so that they dont jam your printer? If so, is there a place on the map aids cd that says it is ok to reproduce? My print shop is a stickler about seeing in writing that it is ok to reproduce.

Any other tricks on how to make this successful? My ds 10 does not like craftsy projects but is excited about doing this so I want to do it well.

Thanks,

Trisha

Another question re: geography...

I see in the introduction that the goals are for the student to learn about the climate, fauna, flora etc. Will this be laid out in question form each week for children to research or do I just tell them from my teacher's notes? Also, will a historical atlas give this kind of info?

Which atlas is considered the best to go along with TOG?

Thanks

Trisha

I know nothing about TOG, but we've always started with a cardstock map and stapled transparencies along one side, so they can be lifted up. I can't see the value of only having a transparency?

Also, don't pay the copy shop for transparencies one at a time. You can buy a whole package for much cheaper, and just hand them one if you want them to copy something onto it (or copy it yourself).

The idea is that you print the base map on cardstock and the student shades/marks it with the unchanging landforms ... mountains, rivers, etc. Then, on weeks where an overlay is called for, you provide a transparency to go over the base map.

You could print the same map on it or just use it blank. If you use it blank, just be sure to have each overlay clearly titled so you remember what it is, which base map it goes with, and what order it goes in over the base map (if you have more than one overlay). In either case, it's important to be sure to have the transparency overlay line up precisely with the base map. You can use staples as the the previous post says or you can use packing tape or paper fasteners or whatever works for you. We printed the overlay maps on the transparencies last year and then just kept everything in a 3-ring binder. My dd often used paper clips to fix the overlay onto the base map while she was working on it so it didn't slip. This year, I will probably use packing tape to attach one side of each overlay onto the base map so we could lift any or all of the overlays like a lift-the-flap book.

It's so much easier to actually do with your hands than it is to write about it! Good luck,

Monica

We've never had a problem running transparencies through our printer. I forget how much they cost, but it's not too bad, $25 for 50 :confused: We don't put the paper layer on card stock, I print the base map on my regular 24# paper, three hole punch it and put it in a folder that has the three brads. As we do each layer we punch and add it.