Menu

Suggestions for a good Pre-Alg. program

TexasTea

My daughter is using Teaching Textbooks grade 7 this year but not doing well. she is passing but just not getting all the stuff on fractions and percents. She finds the man on the CD ROM's too lengthy and confusing when teaching.

Next year is her year to take Pre Alg. Is there a program that will be easy to understand and teach all the basics again?

Thank you

Debbie

If you check the website mathematicallycorrect.com, you can read reviews of some pre-algebra programs. Scroll all the way down near the bottom to find the curriculum reviews. Saxon 1/2 gets a good review (Saxon 87 does not) as well as some other programs. Our experience is that Saxon covers all the basics, gives lots of practice and is incremental and very easy to follow. My kids have been able to do their math work independently by and large. HTH!

There are review problems in the tm for each lesson, and three suggested tracks - telling you which problems to assign, so there's no guess work. And, there are "skill check" problems to do together before assigning the work.

I usually go over the lesson with my ds, but there have been times when he's had to read the lesson himself, and he hasn't had trouble understanding it.

Oh, there's also a suggested schedule (number of class periods per chapter) in the tm to help you stay on track time-wise.

I know others use Lial's Basic College Math, but when it got here, I knew the format would not suit my son. I like bju because it keeps the same style of lesson as what we've been using. but, you can get the bcm very cheaply on amazon ($8-12), so you might want to get just for a look-see!

hth,

Rhonda