Menu

Can you stand one more algebra question?

JeanM

I'm obsessing way too much about this algebra business. So I had decided to use Life of Fred and NEM together for my 10 yo. I got the Life of Fred books in, and they look great.

Then I decided that since I could get an old Dolciani algebra book through interlibrary loan, I would just look at it. The funny thing is that I had the book out in the living room when DH came home from work. He took one look at it and said, "where did that come from?" Apparently the one I got from the library is the same book that we used in high school. I actually didn't recognize it, but he remembered it vividly.

Anyway, the chapters in the Dolciani line up pretty nicely with Life of Fred. And the Dolciani is really cheap at Amazon. Also, I remember really liking algebra and I used the Dolciani. NEM is much more expensive, and I think I'd have to get at least NEM1 and 2 in order to match up with Life of Fred.

I'm nervous about dropping NEM, just because I've been happy with the Singapore products so far. And I've heard good things about how rigorous NEM is.

Does Life of Fred plus Dolciani sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks!

Jean

YES--we love Dolciani. Dd uses the 1965 one, but we ended up getting the 1975 one along the way. This makes me very happy to hear, because I can't afford LoF and NEM and chose LoF. The LoF is for my 11 yo, who is rather immature for Dolciani. I plan to have her do LoF and then Dolciani afterward to cement the theory, etc. She may do LoF Geometry or else Geometrical Constructions when she does Dolciani Algebra.

The best Dolciani years were from 1965-1975. The chapters aren't all in the same order.

YES--we love Dolciani. Dd uses the 1965 one, but we ended up getting the 1975 one along the way. This makes me very happy to hear, because I can't afford LoF and NEM and chose LoF. The LoF is for my 11 yo, who is rather immature for Dolciani. I plan to have her do LoF and then Dolciani afterward to cement the theory, etc. She may do LoF Geometry or else Geometrical Constructions when she does Dolciani Algebra.

The best Dolciani years were from 1965-1975. The chapters aren't all in the same order.

Glad to hear that Dolciani is working well for you. I'm looking forward to trying all of this stuff!

Jean