Menu

BJU DVD's - 8th Grade Space & Earth Science - anyone use this?

Tami in CA

I am looking for opinions on the BJU DVD's for 8th Grade Space & Earth Science. Did you like this course? Was it interesting for your student? Did you do labs/activities or just watch them being done on the DVD's? I would appreciate any opinions you have on this. I am thinking of using this with my son.

Thanks,

Tami

This course was fabulous! In fact, it was so interesting that it cost us a telescope.:001_smile: We did do the labs that were assigned--in many cases, the lab assistant "walked" the students through the lab and sort of taught them how to do it.

The teacher, Mrs. Vick, is fabulous--the kind of teacher who could teach most anything, I suspect.

One other comment--unlike the high school DVD's, this was Mrs. Vick teaching straight to your student (not merely a video of the satellite instruction).

This course really stimulated our kids into an appreciation of the world around them. Our son still will go out in the front yard and lie in the grass with his binoculars to see what he can see in the sky.

I am sooooo looking forward to this class (as is DD). I recorded it, and i just wanted to sit and watch it. Mrs. Vick or her lab assistant do all the labs, and you can watch them - or do there. There isn't a huge list of supplies from what i can see.

And yes, Mrs. Vick CAN teach anything i think. She is awesome.... DD is enjoying her in English and Literature this year too!

I am sooooo looking forward to this class (as is DD). I recorded it, and i just wanted to sit and watch it. Mrs. Vick or her lab assistant do all the labs, and you can watch them - or do there. There isn't a huge list of supplies from what i can see.

And yes, Mrs. Vick CAN teach anything i think. She is awesome.... DD is enjoying her in English and Literature this year too!

:iagree: Ditto everything Tracey said! :D

This does sound great! I am leaning towards doing this course before doing the Life Science - 7th grade. I have heard that the Life Science course is tough.

Have any of you also used the Life Science?

Also, I have read that Mrs. Vick not only teaches the course, but also teaches skills that the student will need such as study skills, note taking and how to study for a test. At least this was said about the Life Science course. Any comments on that? I want my student to learn all these skills.

Thanks again for your responses.

Tami

Oh gosh! I don't think the Space and Earth is at all easier than the Life Science! I have heard quite the opposite in fact, that Space and Earth is tough, tough, tough...but very well done, and very interesting. I personally wouldn't jump into Space & Earth too early. We plan to do them as written; Life Sci for 7th, Space & Earth for 8th.

Hopefully someone who has done both will chime in with actual experience.

This does sound great! I am leaning towards doing this course before doing the Life Science - 7th grade. I have heard that the Life Science course is tough.

Have any of you also used the Life Science?

Also, I have read that Mrs. Vick not only teaches the course, but also teaches skills that the student will need such as study skills, note taking and how to study for a test. At least this was said about the Life Science course. Any comments on that? I want my student to learn all these skills.

Thanks again for your responses.

Tami

Mrs. Vick definitely teaches study skills, studying for tests, etc., in Space & Earth Science.

Thank you all so much for commenting on these courses. I am still undecided between Life Science and Space & Earth Science???

Should I do them as written - Life Science 7th grade first and then Space & Earth Science 8th after?

I am still trying to determine which one would be easier to start with? Which one is the harder course for someone who hasn't done a class like this before? My son has had no outside class teacher other than me here at home. He needs a gentle introduction - at least as gentle as can be expected - I still want him to be challenged :-)

Thanks again,

Tami

Edited by Tami in CA