Menu

Chalkdust Basic Math- Have Questions

mamato4girls

I got this for my dd from a friend, thinking becuase it is before pre-algebra it would be for 7th grade. But from looking on the website, and just a few google searches it seems pre-algebra is what to use for 7th.

My questions are if you use pre-algebra for 7th, algebra for 8th, how do you get an Algebra 1 hs credit in 9th?

My main question is my dd is pretty good in math she used Saxon through 5th grade in a private school, this past year we used Rod and Staff 6th grade. It seems the CD basic covers, at least the first several chapters, a lot of it looks like what she covered this past year.

So should we stick with CD Basic for 7th or will it be to easy and things she already covered?

It's for 6th. If you look up CD Basic Math on the website it is for 6th, Pre-Alg for 7th & Alg for 8th. I am not sure what you mean by Alg. credit for 9th? If your doing Alg. 1 you get the HS credit , but maybe I didn't understand your question:tongue_smilie:

If she already did the Basic math, comparable to traditional 6th grade math then she would be going into Pre-Alg.

Clear as mud?

Edited by Pongo

Yes, Algebra 1 in 8th grade or 7th for that matter would be considered a high school level course and would receive credit.

Most ps have kids take their first year of a foreign language in 8th grade and plenty are now having kids take Alg. 1 in 8th. Because they are high school level classes the child receives high school credit for the class, assuming they pass.

The main difference between taking high school level classes in 8th and 9th, at least in ps, is that if the 8th grade child wants to re-take the class to achieve a better grade they can. Whatever grade they received in 8th would be dropped as if they never took the class. They would then accept whatever grade they receive for the re-take and that's what would go on the transcript. If instead they take Alg. 1 in 9th, they are then stuck with that grade on the transcript. They can take the course again, but it shows up that they took the course twice. Make sense?

HTH