Menu

BJU Math

Donna T.

I'm considering Bob Jones Math for my 7 yo.

What would I need to order?

Would the Teacher's Edition, the Manipulative Packet and the Student Worktext be sufficient to get started? I'm not sure if I need the Teacher's Visuals, which are quite costly.

Also, how long do the lessons take at the Grade 2 level?

And, are the lessons fairly straight-forward for the teacher? I've been spoiled with MathUSee! Just wondering if BJU will be easy to teach. I'm not intimidated by teaching math and my son is very into math. I think we'll be o.k. but I don't have time for anything very confusing.

I'm considering Bob Jones Math for my 7 yo.

What would I need to order?

Would the Teacher's Edition, the Manipulative Packet and the Student Worktext be sufficient to get started? I'm not sure if I need the Teacher's Visuals, which are quite costly.

Also, how long do the lessons take at the Grade 2 level?

And, are the lessons fairly straight-forward for the teacher? I've been spoiled with MathUSee! Just wondering if BJU will be easy to teach. I'm not intimidated by teaching math and my son is very into math. I think we'll be o.k. but I don't have time for anything very confusing.

You do not need the Teacher's Visuals. They are pretty much for classroom use only. The manipulative packet is handy unless you want to print and cut your own from the CD that is included in the TM in the back of the book. You'd need to do this on cardstock. The Manip Packet is perferated and on cardstock, which is easier.

It is easy to teach. It is scripted with answers to questions in red. I think this is easier than MUS if you're just going via TM, but it'll take just a bit of time to get used to it, because there's a lot of information, some for classroom use. It's not confusing if you take the time to preread the meaty portion of a couple lesson plans before starting to get a jist for the "schedule". But every lesson is set up exactly the same, so once you "get it" it'll be a breeze; it's not hard to "get" at all. Every lesson has an objective.

But to open it and see the color and the headings in the TM you may be taken back by it. But if you really look at a couple lessons plans it's very easy and follows the exact same sequence of information. If there's some info you won't use such as maybe the "Introductory Lesson" for example, you'll know that on every lesson you can cross it off the list. I personally don't do this portion, but many people to. It's all very repetious is what I'm trying to say. Looks scary and it's not at all.

As for time, I don't know yet, as I'm coming from Saxon. Can't go more than that for time, but probably longer than MUS. (We did MUS in 1st).

So I'd order all the above (unless you have the manipulatives, which you can see what's included I believe online) except the Visual Packet.

I used BJU Math for 4th & 5th this year. I purchased the Student Materials Packet for both of my kids and did not use them at all. They just were not necessary, atleast not at their age. All it consists of is:

Fraction Bars

Rulers (inches & centimeters)

Hundred Squares, Ten Strips, & One Squares (many sheets)

Fraction Squares (shows relation of 1 whole, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, & 1/12)

Oval Shaped Counters

You can easily download any of these manipulatives online.