Menu

History Odyssey Middle Ages

Last year I really researched which history program I wanted to use and finally landed on History Odyssey - BUT I have children at 2 levels which is something we hadn't done before. We did alot of reading aloud, copywork/dictation, etc. last year and did not finish it up as I had hoped (I think I was actually trying to use too many additional resources) and I let myself get sidetracked. Plus the older son wanted to listen in on what the younger son was doing and vice versa. Learning was accomplished so I'm not upset about that but I just hadn't planned on spending 2 years on this period! But I have over half of the period left to cover, so I need to finish.

I would like to give it a better try this year and was just wondering if anyone had been succesful in coming up with a plan that combines the two. I know it would not be easy to do so I thought I would ask before attempting it. Trying not to reinvent the wheel 'ya know...

Thanks!

We'll be using HO2-Middle Ages this year with two sixth graders (a friend and I are going to be co-oping some subjects like Latin, Greek, logic, and doing others on the same schedule, but not together), and SOTW 2 with the younger ones. We considered doing HO1 with them, but I was not overly impressed with it, and since it didn't coordinate with HO2 anyway, we decided that SOTW + AG would work better for us. We're sticking basically to the HO2 schedule, so I've arranged the SOTW chapters to match up (more or less). That means that when the older kids listen in, or grab one of the simpler books the younger ones are reading, the topics will roughly align.

If you'll PM me your email address, I can send you what I have so far, in case that's helpful.

I haven't done it, but I kids at three different levels and we're doing HO ancients this year. I am trying to plot it out now. I may opt out of Van Loon for my fifth grader and use SOTW, KHE and the other books assigned in level two. My two older guys will both use Caesar's Gallic Wars, which I'll have my oldest to read to the middle guy.

Adjustments like that are how I plan to do it. I may also pick between the pockets and let the younger two do the same, instead of different pocket activities.

Shot in the dark...but we're going to try it.

We have done STOW since the beginning (we are still 2/3 of the way through 3 and should finish up by October). I have been looking at History Odyssey to use when we finish STOW completely. But now I am looking at using HO Modern Times Level 1 in conjunction with STOW 4. My son will be a 5th grader.