Menu

Any Covenant Home users here?

angela&4boys

Their DBD guides are very helpful for knowing exactly what to do when. When we used a little bit of CHC in 4th grade, it definitely helped keep us track in those subjects.

It's pretty pricey just to add the DBD guide, but if you really need the help staying on track and knowing what to do next, it can be worth the extra $$. It's easier to follow than the BJU TMs, IMO.

Donna,

Thank you so much! This is what I had hoped to hear.

The cost does seem a bit high, but in our case I feel it's justified. I am very appreciative of someone writing out a schedule and simplifying it relative to the big BJU TM. I do not have the time to plan like I used to and in this way I know it will get done.

Thanks again,:)

My cousin used Covenant Home this past year after years of Sonlight. She said this was by far their best year of school (she has 5 kiddos from 13 down to 2). Unfortunately, that's all I know about the program [smile]

That's very encouraging, ladydusk! I'm considering more subjects from them...

Thank you. :)

I used CHC a few years ago, one of my kids was in 6th.

That's the year I learned to love the BJ textbooks (compared to what I had been using prior).

You get a lot more than just a day by day planner when you sign up with CHC.

Among other things, you get tests written by CHC instead of the BJ tests, and I think they are on a higher thinking level with more analysis required of the student.

There were additional history books included with the 6th grade history, I think it was the Famous Men series. Oh, maybe they used Famous Men instead of the BJ history text? (I forget.)

I liked their English, too.

The whole program was well put together, I thought.

Oh, and I loved their Bible courses!

But I had a hard time getting it done.

It was too much.

And I had 3 other kids doing school at the same time, one of whom was an 8th grader doing CHC as well.

So the whole thing was too much for me.

I posted a message for them askng for help, and their response was that I don't have to do everything they list to do.

But somehow that wasn't much of a help.

The following year we just did the BJ books without spending the extra $ on CHC.

I had wished we could have had the discipline to stick with it.

If we were a family who was good at doing school work, we would have done fine with it.

I just couldn't get my act together, and also the kids weren't that good at working independently, so, no matter what textbook program we used we might not have done well...

Add to that the pressure of getting it all done to send in for grading, and the fun kind of goes out of the whole thing.

Angela, what if you use CHC just for the subjects covered by BJU so that you can get the DBD guide, and then do BJU (directly) or some other publisher for the other subjects? It sounds like Diane did CHC for everything.... But even if you just use CHC for the BJU subjects (instead of having to rely that big ol' BJU TM), that alone would be a big help, I'd think.