Menu

Financial aid for tutoring?

An acquaintance of mine asked me today if I knew of any way she could get some type of financial assistance to help her hire a math tutor for her high school daughter who is struggling in math -- this is a single mom who receives SS benefits from her deceased husband (father of the daughter). I know nothing about this area, but thought if anyone knew, it would be you guys! Is there any type of public aid for this situation?

Some public schools have funding through No Child Left Behind. If the child is in public school, she should check with the guidance department. Even if school is already out for the summer, most schools have specific hours that their guidance department is operating during the summer.

Mom should check with her math teacher, the math dept . chairperson, and guidance to see what opportunities are available through the school. In my area, free math tutoring is available afterschool with certified teachers and high school honor society students (free as in the teachers are getting a stipend from the school, not fees from the students). Help is also available during study hall. Summer school here is also available if she failed the course. Mom should also check that dd is placed in correct version of course - in this area, math can be taken double period as well as single period.

She might also check the YMCA...they do have financial assistance and many have tutoring available.